What are you doing with homebrew today?

First time smelling and using Azacca hops. Getting some tropical but also pine? Looking forward to the 5 minute addition to get another good smell

This was a first for me as well. The aroma of the Azacca hops was terrific. To me the primary aroma was sweet floral & grassy. Pine was there but subdued. I'll need to see how it tastes in the final beer but I expect I'll brew with Azacca again. Thanks @Herm_brews!

Well SH@T my gravity was 13 points off. My guess is the pound of wheat I crushed wasn’t crushed right. Small batch so that was 40% of my grist. So question…
I have no DME but I have a can of Proper starter. If I pour one can in I assume that has a gravity of 1.080. That would/should get me right?

Well SH@T my gravity was 13 points off. My guess is the pound of wheat I crushed wasn’t crushed right. Small batch so that was 40% of my grist. So question…
I have no DME but I have a can of Proper starter. If I pour one can in I assume that has a gravity of 1.080. That would/should get me right?

Brewer's Crystals, I always keep them on hand for just such an occasion.

Drinking some homebrew and heating up strike water. Trying to recreate a pilsner/Citra SMaSH from Fogbelt brewing in Cali. I added some carapils so mine will be a TMaSH :)
20220828_130735.jpg

Probably too late for this batch, but yes, propper will raise the gravity. But the flavor may clash in certain styles, beware.

I keep DME on hand.

That happened to me once. I only freaked out until I remembered that I hadn't added the pound of sugar yet! :rolleyes:

Started my new fermentation chamber build. Got all the exterior panels cut. Still need to rip the front and rear panels for doors, but gonna call the exterior panels done. Gonna be approximately 16 cu-ft inside, maybe closer to 15. Still gotta make the internal baffle and figure out how close it can be to the back door and still accommodate 1/2 gallon jugs of ice with a couple inches between a total of 6 jugs. Gonna put fans in the top of the baffle to circulate air when needed. Maybe add a heater strip later for raising temperature near end of fermentation. I might even be able to lager with it after I get some experience with temperature controlled fermentation.

L-R, Rear, side and front panels. Short side panel goes on left side. Chamber will be mounted on right end of brew bench. I have a huge UPS battery that I can use to power the control and fans, and may put an inverter for the heater, plus solar panel to keep it charged.

image.jpg

This and some sawdust is the sum total of waste from a $80 sheet of 3/4 plywood. My total investment so far. Most of the framing and internal baffle will be from scraps that I’ve pack ratted. Hoping to keep this build under $300.

I’ll probably use some this as blocking or a backstop on the top. I don’t waste expensive lumber any more than I have to.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Come to think of it, the plywood was actually bought for a different project (tandem computer desk), so I actually have zero cost in this project so far. I figured out a way to use 1 sheet on the desk project after I already bought 2. The Missus likes it when I do projects without additional costs. She knows how stingy I am. :D

Will probably order an InkBird controller tonight. What I’ve saved in costs so far might let me get away with a fancier model. Might even let me feel good about ordering a Tilt device too. Got a few old Kindle tablets that need something to do.

Last edited:
Pitched yeast about 5 hours ago and the kveik is happily cruising along. The spunding valve is set to 5 psi and is already hissing and the gravity has dropped 5ish points. My OG was a little low cuz I scaled the batch up to 4 gallons and didn't calculate my mash and sparge vessel volumes correctly so I had to add some sparge water in as regular water. Oh well worse mistakes have been made :) it will be beer!

I probably be back to kveik's pretty soon. It will be interesting to see how much I like them after having tried some different yeasts

This and some sawdust is the sum total of waste from a $80 sheet of 3/4 plywood. My total investment so far.

My kinda project.....idunno..
That looks like some BTU's in those scraps....gotta fireplace?

My kinda project.....idunno..
That looks like some BTU's in those scraps....gotta fireplace?
Umm, you can see in the photo of the panels the bottom of a couple ricks of scraps from pallets I used for the inside wall covering in the shed. I have nearly 2 cords of hardwood cutoffs from the interior siding. I need to move it into my old storage building to make room for my tractor bits and bobs.

Fireplace, no, but I do have a wood stove that’s another project for the shed. It was in my mother’s kitchen for many years until she no longer had anyone to cut/split wood for her. While I lived there(until I graduated), that was my job in the winter, making sure we had plenty kindling, firewood, and stove wood. I split TONS of wood starting from the time I could swing an axe and 8 pound hammer. I don’t miss that. I collect my scraps to feed the wood stove for heat when I work in the shop in winter. We have pretty mild winter, so I don’t burn much because of the mess with the ash and dust. Parts for a new chimney are nearly $2000, so hard to justify that over other projects in the house.

Missed my window will let it finish up on its own and carbonate with co2 cartridges oh well. 1.009 so I don’t expect much what attenuation do you all get with BRY 97? Recipe builder had 72%. I’m at 74%

Back