What are you doing with homebrew today?

642F39AB-DA52-4309-A575-2DD0D9FD76FF.png

Dumped the collection bulb on the fermenter and dry hopped the LA Mud Puddle with a 1 oz Galaxy packet. I put it in a hop basket, then dropped a float in to keep the larger holes in the basket out of the brew. The float is a leftover from a GoPro camera mounting kit. No strings or chains required which can help pollute the brew. Pulled the top and eased the basket in to avoid too much air introduction, put the top and collection bulb back on. A couple days late (7 days), but I'm planning to let this one sit at least 3 weeks for clarity and max hop flavor from the Galaxy. Patience begets clearer/better beer.

I do like Galaxy and Mosaic hops. Smellin' yummy already without the dry hop. Flavoring was .5 oz of Citra and .5 oz Galaxy, and used Magnum for bittering. Has an excellent nose already (got a snoot full of aroma when I opened the fermenter). Should be tasty if the nose is any indication. Might do another one as soon as I get a taste of this one after conditioning. OR, maybe I try something new, and just make up a recipe. Maybe something with some Maris, since I haven't done a recipe with that yet. I think I'm gonna lean more toward all-grain stuff for a little while to try the different grains. Extracts are convenient and quicker and a lot less messy, but I think I'm cheating myself a little by not experimenting with different grains. Might as well bite the bullet and get set up to handle hot grain bags so I can move to BIAB process.

Used 2X dry yeast packets (US-05) on this one. That, and an extra bittering hop (the Magnum) recommended by the LHBS owner made me scratch my head a little. Only used one packet of US-05 and half/half Mosaic/CItra last time. The Mosaic was substitued for the Galaxy (he was out of Galaxy). If it's too bitter for my tastes, I'll still drink it (because I went through the trouble to make it) unless it turns out to be undrinkable swill. I'll just skip the extra bittering hops next time. But, let's just wait and see. I've noticed that I'm developing a taste for hoppier beers. Not so much more bitter, but hoppy.

Dumped the collection bulb on the fermenter and dry hopped the LA Mud Puddle with a 1 oz Galaxy packet. I put it in a hop basket, then dropped a float in to keep the larger holes in the basket out of the brew. The float is a leftover from a GoPro camera mounting kit. No strings or chains required which can help pollute the brew. Pulled the top and eased the basket in to avoid too much air introduction, put the top and collection bulb back on. A couple days late (7 days), but I'm planning to let this one sit at least 3 weeks for clarity and max hop flavor from the Galaxy. Patience begets clearer/better beer.

I do like Galaxy and Mosaic hops. Smellin' yummy already without the dry hop. Flavoring was .5 oz of Citra and .5 oz Galaxy, and used Magnum for bittering. Has an excellent nose already (got a snoot full of aroma when I opened the fermenter). Should be tasty if the nose is any indication. Might do another one as soon as I get a taste of this one after conditioning. OR, maybe I try something new, and just make up a recipe. Maybe something with some Maris, since I haven't done a recipe with that yet. I think I'm gonna lean more toward all-grain stuff for a little while to try the different grains. Extracts are convenient and quicker and a lot less messy, but I think I'm cheating myself a little by not experimenting with different grains. Might as well bite the bullet and get set up to handle hot grain bags so I can move to BIAB process.

Used 2X dry yeast packets (US-05) on this one. That, and an extra bittering hop (the Magnum) recommended by the LHBS owner made me scratch my head a little. Only used one packet of US-05 and half/half Mosaic/CItra last time. The Mosaic was substitued for the Galaxy (he was out of Galaxy). If it's too bitter for my tastes, I'll still drink it (because I went through the trouble to make it) unless it turns out to be undrinkable swill. I'll just skip the extra bittering hops next time. But, let's just wait and see. I've noticed that I'm developing a taste for hoppier beers. Not so much more bitter, but hoppy.
I love hopped beers. You don't want to let this beer sit too long though. Hoppy beers are made to drink as soon and as quickly as possible. All of that great aroma and flavor fades after awhile.

Good luck with it Roadie I'm with over the cliff drink that beer as soon as its carbed don't wait for it to clear.
Sounds like a tasty brew!

Back