What are you doing with homebrew today?

I just finished brewing my Red headed carrot top rye IPA on Saturday....its happily fermenting away....I plan to add some carrot juice and roasted carrots to the secondary along with a little honey.[

Attachments

• WechatIMG338.jpeg
    WechatIMG338.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 3401652018848_.jpg
    3401652018848_.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 3391652018847_.jpg
    3391652018847_.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 38
Is the head literally red...with a golden orange brew....cool! I've had a few black and tans in my day but a gold and red? You gotta post that one!
We shall see what it turns out like.....probably just be some kind of "brown" color. Hopefully it tastes decent though. I'm planning to enter it into a local beer competition...... so see how it stacks up with competition.

I am heating strike water to mash grains for an American wheat beer.
I bought a new digital thermometer this morning, so I am putting it to use in trying to hit the right strike temp.
Since the probe is on a long wire, I will also use it to monitor my mash temperature.

Wow, I just barely averted my first boil over disaster about 30 minutes ago. With the lid on my kettle, and the flame on high, I was squinting through my refractometer getting a pre-boil reading. When I walked into the kitchen, the lid was just starting to lift from the kettle. I caught it just in time. Stovetop is still clean!

Wow, I just barely averted my first boil over disaster about 30 minutes ago. With the lid on my kettle, and the flame on high, I was squinting through my refractometer getting a pre-boil reading. When I walked into the kitchen, the lid was just starting to lift from the kettle. I caught it just in time. Stovetop is still clean!
Whew. Good catch.
What’s the saying…An unwatched pot always boils over…or something.

This brew day was not my best. I had such high hopes for my first American wheat beer, aiming for a relatively modest 1.050 OG. I measured out the grains myself at lhbs, but as is their requirement, an employee must run the mill. I failed to direct the employee to mill for BIAB, assuming he knew my process. Today when I opened my bag of crushed grains, there was no flour. My pre-boil gravity came in a little short, but my pre-boil volume was a little over, so I figured I would be OK with a good boil. Even with an extra 5 minutes of boiling, I came up at least 5 points short, but at the expected volume. Maybe the beer gods are telling me to drink lower abv beers.

I need to bottle my cider.
It's only 2 litres.
Procastrinating....
Maybe I just pour it into 2 x 1 litre bottles.

I got more applejuice, but I want to try that on another yeast than Voss Kveik as the temps have dropped a bit (34/17 oC day/night, about 93/63 F)

I really want to brew tomorrow, so today I'll be filling bottles from the keg to drink later. The Redanian lager may be low enough to kick if I put in some effort :D I want to make sure I get the kolsch packaged first before tho

This brew day was not my best. I had such high hopes for my first American wheat beer, aiming for a relatively modest 1.050 OG. I measured out the grains myself at lhbs, but as is their requirement, an employee must run the mill. I failed to direct the employee to mill for BIAB, assuming he knew my process. Today when I opened my bag of crushed grains, there was no flour. My pre-boil gravity came in a little short, but my pre-boil volume was a little over, so I figured I would be OK with a good boil. Even with an extra 5 minutes of boiling, I came up at least 5 points short, but at the expected volume. Maybe the beer gods are telling me to drink lower abv beers.
5 points is not nothing, but it's pretty negligible. And no reason to fret, especially since you know exactly where the problem originated.
I'm sure the beer will be killer.

Packaged 14 bottles of kolsch and kicked the Redanian lager. Cleaned the kolsch keg to ferment an IPL. The Redanian lager yeast cake will stay put so I can transfer the wort for a Baltic Porter on top, hopefully tomorrow. And then a long break from lagers is in store :D can't wait to do pales and IPAs again lol

Back