What are you doing with homebrew today?

Yeah man its a beautiful thing!
you could Get away with pitching half even a 1/4.
Sounds like you'll have plenty of yeast at your disposal ;)

I've gotten in the habit of tossing the first slurry from the bulb (more or less starting secondary ferment in the same fermenter), and then keeping the second slurry which is so much cleaner. The first time I empty the sediment bulb, it's usually pretty thick trub and byproducts sludge. Depending on the recipe, and all-grain being worse than extracts, it's usually a little difficult to get the goo outta the bulb. Second draw, right before bottling, I draw my FG sample out of the bulb which removes enough 'cover beer' so I can agitate the bulb pretty good and dump that into a mason jar to store it and let it settle again. I usually get some really pretty yeast cakes from that. I just leave under the beer. If I go more than a couple weeks before I repitch, or the recipe is enough different that I don't want the old beer in it, I decant, make a starter, and then pitch that for cleaner repitch. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this repitch thing. Now I REALLY need a beer fridge in the basement if for nothing else but to store the yeast cultures. I don't have a problem with ferocious ferments (that I'm qualified to taste anyway), and it just lets me get it bottled sooner, 2 weeks instead of 3.

Just had a Hex Nut Brown. It's finally getting enough fizz to suit me. Moderate pour, I got about a 1/2" head on 12 ounces. Laced top to bottom, every swallow visible on the glass. This is some yummy stuff. A little slower about conditioning than I'm used to though. I'm gonna guess that the higher ABV (7.2 by OG-FG calcs) is responsible for that, or maybe it's the fact the beer is so much cleaner at bottling than it was before and it takes a while for the yeast to grow back. One glass, and my lips are numb like I just gulped a double shot of bourbon. I could get polluted on this pretty quick.

I've gotten in the habit of tossing the first slurry from the bulb (more or less starting secondary ferment in the same fermenter), and then keeping the second slurry which is so much cleaner. The first time I empty the sediment bulb, it's usually pretty thick trub and byproducts sludge. Depending on the recipe, and all-grain being worse than extracts, it's usually a little difficult to get the goo outta the bulb. Second draw, right before bottling, I draw my FG sample out of the bulb which removes enough 'cover beer' so I can agitate the bulb pretty good and dump that into a mason jar to store it and let it settle again. I usually get some really pretty yeast cakes from that. I just leave under the beer. If I go more than a couple weeks before I repitch, or the recipe is enough different that I don't want the old beer in it, I decant, make a starter, and then pitch that for cleaner repitch. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this repitch thing. Now I REALLY need a beer fridge in the basement if for nothing else but to store the yeast cultures. I don't have a problem with ferocious ferments (that I'm qualified to taste anyway), and it just lets me get it bottled sooner, 2 weeks instead of 3.

Just had a Hex Nut Brown. It's finally getting enough fizz to suit me. Moderate pour, I got about a 1/2" head on 12 ounces. Laced top to bottom, every swallow visible on the glass. This is some yummy stuff. A little slower about conditioning than I'm used to though. I'm gonna guess that the higher ABV (7.2 by OG-FG calcs) is responsible for that, or maybe it's the fact the beer is so much cleaner at bottling than it was before and it takes a while for the yeast to grow back. One glass, and my lips are numb like I just gulped a double shot of bourbon. I could get polluted on this pretty quick.
Sounds like your having a great time brewing Roadie keep learning and having fun with this hobby:)

FGs reached, no diacetyl detected, it's time to chill these lagers!
20220331_084752.jpg

FGs reached, no diacetyl detected, it's time to chill these lagers!
View attachment 20013
Nice.

Question for you (or anyone)...can you detect diacetyl? I'm not sure that I can. At least I don't think I've ever come across it. (I rarely brew lagers, so there's that). I have heard of some that can't taste/smell diacetyl but have trained themselves to recognize it in other ways, mainly by mouthfeel.

If you can detect it, what does it smell/taste/feel like to you? I have heard everything from movie popcorn to fake vanilla flavoring, to slick/oily mouthfeel.

Nice.

Question for you (or anyone)...can you detect diacetyl? I'm not sure that I can. At least I don't think I've ever come across it. (I rarely brew lagers, so there's that). I have heard of some that can't taste/smell diacetyl but have trained themselves to recognize it in other ways, mainly by mouthfeel.

If you can detect it, what does it smell/taste/feel like to you? I have heard everything from movie popcorn to fake vanilla flavoring, to slick/oily mouthfeel.
Honestly I'm not sure I've ever properly tasted it either. I'm just looking for butter/butterscotch flavor or aroma and an oily mouthfeel

My back is continuing to improve, and I am thinking more about getting my brewing space in order. A buddy who brews a lot has also offered to have me over to assist on a brew day, and split a 10 gallon batch. Definitely going to take him up on that soon!
Woohoo!! Congrats Craig :) hope your healing journey continues!

My back is continuing to improve, and I am thinking more about getting my brewing space in order. A buddy who brews a lot has also offered to have me over to assist on a brew day, and split a 10 gallon batch. Definitely going to take him up on that soon!
I need to find a brew buddy like that. My step-son actually got me into the hobby, after his brother-in-law got him into it. Problem is, both are very young, and very busy with real life and family like I was at that age. Sometimes, it helps to have that additional input on a recipe, or a nudge to try something new/different.

Glad to hear your back is on the mend. I'm scheduled for my 6th epidural next Friday. That 20-minute nap in the 'moon room' is the best nap ever. Not a permanent fix, though, and I know it. Dreading that down-time after surgery. Bad enough with rotator cuffs, but lumbar and cervical surgeries are in my future and I'm not real keen on either one.

I had surgery on a ruptured disc, thing was destroyed when I was 26 (about 15 years ago. Glad I did, not sure where I’d be now.

Cleaned 3 empty kegs, refilled one with the Ukraine Belgian and set it to carbonate overnight.

I went about the cleaning very methodically, not intermixing parts from the kegs, and even though it took a few extra minutes it was very pleasing to the organized side of my brain. Replaced some O-rings as well, as they seemed old, damaged or were known to be leaking.

The plastic gas-side tube in keg #5 is deformed, need to find me a metal one. If LHBS doesn't have one I'll go online, should be easy to find.

Back