Weighing hops

I'll put the bag inside a Ziploc baggie, getting all the air out I can. Them put in a plastic container in the freezer

If I don't use them relatively soon, they get thrown in at the beginning of the boil

How do you folks store your unused leftover hops? Will they keep in a baggie in the fridge or freezer for a few weeks? Hops are pretty pricy around here -- $2-3 per ounce is pretty typical. I suppose I could always use the last half ounce for dry hopping or just toss it in at the end of the boil -- probably won't make much difference in a five gallon batch.
I store mine in the freezer. Squeeze as much air out as possible, find a way to seal them - I use a rubber band wrapped around the hops with the top folded over - and freeze.

I buy mine buy the pound and I have about 10 varieties and I did put mine in a keezer in baggies but I had so many stored that I didn't pay too close attention to them and one month I had 3 bad tasting batches in a row, needless to say after weeks of searching what it was, it turned out to be the hops stored improperly in a condensation mess, so I ended up tossing anything that wasn't vacuum sealed which was about 13 pounds at th time " multiply that by $20" and I've learned my lesson, now I buy the pound and vacuum seal an ounce at a time of each myself then add that to a 2 gallon baggies and store in the freezer, now my conscious is clear lol

When I buy in bulk I split them into ziplock bags of 100 g each , label and freeze in Tupperware
Have a smaller container with my part bags to avoid oxygen exposure to the bulk of my stocks

not that expensive here, I bought a $39 factory restored food saver and it works great for hops, of course its not meant to do mass production and will over heat after about 15 minutes but hey you get what you pay for lol

I got to agree with Ozarks the sealer is the way to go we got a bigger one because we use it for a lot of other things now that we have it I don't see how we ever got along without it. We freeze our own homegrown Hops and whole hops take about a quarter of the space once their vacuum sealed.

I got to agree with Ozarks the sealer is the way to go we got a bigger one because we use it for a lot of other things now that we have it I don't see how we ever got along without it. We freeze our own homegrown Hops and whole hops take about a quarter of the space once their vacuum sealed.
Works really well. I have some Crystal I got three years ago, whole hops. I vacuum sealed and froze them. They're still usable.

okay, so I finally bought a scale. Now I gotta run out and buy a vacuum sealer. Anything else while i'm out? Pizza dough yeast? Imperial Squirrel?

just use bread yeast for pizza dough, Ill give you my Squirrels "I wont make the joke" lol their freaking nutz, they keep running in front of my car

ok so a food saver.
gotta have the right bags. 1000 kinds to choose from
postal scale "for grain"
jewelery scale "for hops and water adjustments"
ph meter "for you guessed it"
freezer
hmmmmmmm

okay, so I finally bought a scale. Now I gotta run out and buy a vacuum sealer. Anything else while i'm out? Pizza dough yeast? Imperial Squirrel?
I could sure use one of those upsidedown squirty things you hook to the faucet to clean out bottles. And bottle caps -- forgot those my last trip to LHBS too... Thanks!

So I dry hopped with an ounce of Cascade a couple days ago. Holy crap, that hop bag ballooned up like a football! Glad I used the bag.

Possums are smarter than squirrels... They told the authoritys to put up ropes to cross the road? Surely people are not that smart.

Yes ....they can't count but sent a very sternly worded letter demanding bridges ....we have a small possum here that can glide so they cited our anti discrimination act and it even went to the high court

Back