weevils

I've had this happen and continue to check out my malt storage come summer time here in Aus.
Freezer did the trick for me Zambezi but still couldn't help thinking about them bastard bugs in my mash lol!

Keep an eye out on your stock.
Stored product pests are a bugger to get rid of once established.
Your wevels or grain Beatles are there at your place.
Maintain good housekeeping around your grains sweep up any spilled grains keep all grains including your rice oats ect sealed up in approved containers.
And a bay leaf don't go astray ;).

Try it! Don't let these boys and their dogma get you down :) let us know what happens and we can all learn from it
Hey, in my defense I said that it just seemed wrong :rolleyes:
If the freezer kills the bugs, how come we have so many mosquitoes here in Minnesota?
The annual spring migration from South America, of course.

Remember also...
upload_2021-12-28_23-20-15.png

And a bay leaf don't go astray ;).
Bay leaf?
Serious?
I got fresh and dried bay.

I'm not surprised about the weevils. It happens. Our climate suits them.
I'm already real happy that I can still use most of my malt after it has been in storage for close to 2 years!

Bay leaf?
Serious?
I got fresh and dried bay.

I'm not surprised about the weevils. It happens. Our climate suits them.
I'm already real happy that I can still use most of my malt after it has been in storage for close to 2 years!
Yup trust me on this one lol.
I've picked a thinkg or two up about pest control even non chemical methods :rolleyes:...

I can't imagine it doing any harm...
Except of course if you forget to remove it before milling...
Laurel beer doesn't sound appetising ;)

So you add some leaves to your normal grain storage and that prevents weevils from coming in?
I still think you are pulling my leg, but I am gonna try anyway :p

I can't imagine it doing any harm...
Except of course if you forget to remove it before milling...
Laurel beer doesn't sound appetising ;)

So you add some leaves to your normal grain storage and that prevents weevils from coming in?
I still think you are pulling my leg, but I am gonna try anyway :p
Well it could be more old wives tale then actual truth lol. It's common here in Aus to add a bay leaf to the flour ect ect. The grain beetle don't like the smell of the stuff. Sorta like naphthalene flakes or moth balls for cloathes moth and possum rats in ya roof type stuff.
Anyhow worth a crack but remember to remove the leaf.

Weevils got into my bird seed and the first thing I thought about was my brewing grains. I now keep them all in the freezer, and buy smaller amounts of bird seed that I keep outside. If you try to save some of the grain, maybe try using a screen and wash (rinse lightly) just before using, If it is bad you will smell the weevil wastes.

Weevils got into my bird seed and the first thing I thought about was my brewing grains. I now keep them all in the freezer, and buy smaller amounts of bird seed that I keep outside. If you try to save some of the grain, maybe try using a screen and wash (rinse lightly) just before using, If it is bad you will smell the weevil wastes.
Rinsing is a good idea. Maybe the bugs will float, as bugs often do, allowing easier removal.

I can say from personal experience that worms in flour sink in water.

Back