Water treatment in practice

I was about to get really involved with water chemistry and sorting my brewing water. I had been using a Campden tablet which took care of the chlorine/chloramine issue. But, I thought I ought to be adjusting my PH and the rest. Not to solve any particular problem. I came across 5 star 5.2 ph stabilizer and tried that. Worked out fine to bring my PH into line. I would give it a go if you want to keep things simple. Now, if you are trying to hit certain local water profiles of specific beers, it won't do that for you. So far, that's not an interest of mine.

I was about to get really involved with water chemistry and sorting my brewing water. I had been using a Campden tablet which took care of the chlorine/chloramine issue. But, I thought I ought to be adjusting my PH and the rest. Not to solve any particular problem. I came across 5 star 5.2 ph stabilizer and tried that. Worked out fine to bring my PH into line. I would give it a go if you want to keep things simple. Now, if you are trying to hit certain local water profiles of specific beers, it won't do that for you. So far, that's not an interest of mine.
And then there is phosphoric or Lactic acid or good old Fashioned Acidulated malt ;).

I came across 5 star 5.2 ph stabilizer and tried that. Worked out fine to bring my PH into line. I would give it a go if you want to keep things simple. Now, if you are trying to hit certain local water profiles of specific beers, it won't do that for you. So far, that's not an interest of mine.

There's an old saying when it comes to 5.2 Stabilizer: it works for those that don't check their pH and doesn't work for those that do check their pH.

Use Lactic or Phosphoric Acid to adjust pH.

Then it's perfect for me! I just do math to correct for my local water and don't bother spending $$$ on a probe I need to calibrate every batch.

Dude! Avatar is a little disturbing:confused:

I don't check my pH anymore, I have come to trust the recipe editor prediction.
Water adjustments are really complicated... until you play around with it a bit theoretically, then it is simple.
For me it is no different than a malt mix, or a hop mix.
You adjust to different profiles to suit what you are brewing..
If you brew a light hoppy pale ale with a water profile that is suited to a stout, you will miss out on some of the hop goodness.
Personally I use RO water, and adjust to suit what I am brewing.
Works for me, but you do your thing.

This water treatment can get real complicated . We had troubles with hard water again today!

upload_2020-4-3_18-50-1.png

Back