Water Quality Report Question

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by tamparob, Feb 7, 2018.

1. tamparob

tamparob New Member

Greetings everyone,

I am trying to understand a water report my county has sent me. I live in the south Tampa area. The water report I received is attached. I am having a problem figuring out the Alkalinity total. The calculator says "check range". There are a few other measurements missing, but the calculator doesn't seem to mind. Does anyone know how to enter the alkalinity into my water profile?

Attached Files:

2. Medarius

Medarius Active Member

successfully retired
    Looks like your total alkalinity is listed in your report as 156mg/L total as CaCO3, you just need to put that in .

In water calculator click the Alkanlinity as bicarbonate button and put in that number.

3. tamparob

tamparob New Member

Thanks for the response Medarius,

Should I worry about the "Range Check", which I think means it doesn't fall within the acceptable range for the measurement.

Below is my input and report.

water input.PNG final calculation.PNG

4. marta dell

marta dell New Member

5. thehaze

thehaze Active Member

Sulfate and Calcium are a bit high, but that is not an issue. Any beer benefits from sulfate and the Calcium is needed for fermentation, so I think you will be fine. Before I changed my water source, I had a much higher alkalinity and still made good beer.

6. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Bet you can make some good hoppy beers with that! The good news is your hardness is mostly temporary - you can boil the water and get rid of most of the carbonate. Bad news is that it's likely highly variable, meaning what you try this week may not work next. And worst case, call the water office and see what "range check" really means. They'll usually tell you. We're lucky here - so many of us have apparently called wanting the concentrations of brewing ions the city just publishes them now in the water report!

7. okoncentrerad

okoncentrerad Active Member

I think the "Range Check" mentioned is the one in B.F. overall water report not in HIS water report? The one in B.F. overall water report will tell you, I think, your R.A. in your mash, given your grist info and any additions...but I'm still a learner! :)

8. HighVoltageMan!

HighVoltageMan! Well-Known Member

I think it would work for English.

I have almost the same amount of total hardness and I dilute it with R/O 5-6:1 for American IPA's and PA's. That gives me a total hardness of 30-40ppm. It makes for nice firm bittering without being too harsh.

9. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

And since I far prefer English-style IPAs to American, I stand by my comment.

10. HighVoltageMan!

HighVoltageMan! Well-Known Member

I think because the English don't go ape sh*% adding hops, the harder water works. When brewing the American style, the more hops the better, but that's when the bitterness gets out of hand a bit and the softer water helps to tone it down a little.