Water Filter Setup

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using a carbon block filter for brewing water in stead of a RO system?
I've been using filtered water from one of those stand alone machines but I noticed the last time I got water there it wasn't the best tasting.

Don't want to spend the bucks for a RO system unless I can find a decent one for under $100.
I did find this one, https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Rev...95334&sr=8-16&keywords=ro+water+filter+system, but not sure of the quality.

I also saw this one, https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Osmo...95334&sr=8-13&keywords=ro+water+filter+system.

Then I thought about just getting a filter housing and a.5 micron carbon block filter to use. Only problem with that is I have no idea how I would treat the water.
What do you guys suggest?

I use a 2 stage carbon filter system. I used to replace the filters twice a year before I started brewing like crazy. Now I replace them thrice a year.

Very much like that. Mine is made by whirlpool. I think it's been discontinued, but the filters are still for sale.

Very much like that. Mine is made by whirlpool. I think it's been discontinued, but the filters are still for sale.
Do you use a carbon block filter in both or a .5 micron in the first one and a carbon block in the 2nd?
Do you also add campden tablets?

I use a carbon filter designed for in-line use when filling the potable water tanks in an RV. Much cheaper and works fine!

The filters come in a 2 pack. I don't know what the difference between them is. Those filters are also the extent of my water treatment. No campden or anything else.

This the filter I use.

http://low.es/2cUdbgv

Best filter Ive used so far and I built my own set up, quick connects and also comes apart

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000246SMS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41S+FxnLnxL._SX425_.jpg

WP_20161005_001.jpg

yes same filter but Ill warn you its a strong filter so just a campden tablet and a little Calcium chloride for my low numbers

heres a few parts I bought for this, there are few more adapters but I need to dig them up.]

So how many of these do you connect in series Ozark .

I see you've got two there not a bad set up and your reckon this pumps out RO or close to it hay?

Last edited:
its like a puzzle, it only fits one way, 2 couplers , 2 nipples, 4 reducing nipples. 2 adapters not listed

when I get time Ill write a complete parts list with amounts and names, im a bit buzzed now ;)

Thanks Ozarks. I appreciate the info. I like the camlock quick disconnect.
I believe this will be my project for the weekend.

Thanks Ozarks. I appreciate the info. I like the camlock quick disconnect.
I believe this will be my project for the weekend.
Yea she looks the goods let us know how you go. Looking forward to tackling this me self

What do you guys think of the RO system I linked in my initial post? It's cheaper than buying the two filter houses and the parts.

downfalls to ro water, its very slow to fill anything strait from the faucet, most advanced people store the water in a large container the day before but when doing that you run the risk of contamination, that water has nothing to shield it from bacteria so a very close eye on cleanliness has to be taken
also the quality of the ro water relies heavily on the membrane you run it through, the better ones are more expensive and will need to be replaced every so often along with the 3 sediment filters
I cant tell you anything else I think Nosybear researched it more than me

by the way you don't have to buy all those parts I have on mine, I just had them lying around, a single filter with a campden tablet should work fine

My 2 stage fills very slowly, too. Prefilling shouldn't be a concern, since the water is boiled ahead of time, right? Or are you suggesting that RO water is more susceptible to infection post boil than non-RO water?

if you store 10 gallons of ro water it my take all night to accumulate that much, 12 hours is not uncommon, its very slow, that water is now clean of everything that protects it and yes you do boil eventually but the mash can be infected and cause off flavors

Back