Vienna malt fermentability

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
hey everyone a couple weeks back i brewed a couple batches of lager.
lager 1
12lbs 2 row
.25 acid
OG 1056 FG 1006

lager 2
8 lbs vienna
2 lbs flaked rice
1 lb dextrose
.25 lbs acid

OG 1050 FG 1008

both mashed at 149F, pitched on 2 packs of 34/70, 20g of yeast nutrients, oxygenated and fermented right next to each other.
any idea why lager 2 had poor attenuation? would Vienna or flaked rice cause an increase in FG?

Seems in the range of reasonable attenuation. Vienna may not have quite the diastatic power needed to convert the rice into good fermentables,

So many variables. What was the ph for both?

Did you say 20 grams of yeast nutrient? What is your batch size? What's the recommended dosing of nutrients for the brand you're using?

I use Wyeast nutrients and add 1g for a 3.5 gallon batch

Also your 1st lager was likely more fermentable with just 2 row and acidulated malt. Lager 2 had adjuncts added which can sometimes lower fermentability

Did you say 20 grams of yeast nutrient? What is your batch size? What's the recommended dosing of nutrients for the brand you're using?

I use Wyeast nutrients and add 1g for a 3.5 gallon batch

Also your 1st lager was likely more fermentable with just 2 row and acidulated malt. Lager 2 had adjuncts added which can sometimes lower fermentability
im not sure what it is, the package just says yeast nutrient and dosing is 1tsp per gal.

I'd be happy with that attenuation 80% is around par for me.
Actually if I were starting to see 85 + I'd be concerned about diastaticus.

I like the look of that second one :)
unfortunately its too sweet for me,
on my lagers i normally get around 85% ales are generally high 70s

And water profile mash temp.i was going to say attenuation isn't a sure sign of how dry a beer is.
Try out what sunfire suggested if your beer is still to sweet.

Only other thing is oxidation.

Bang! And it's not very pleasant. Good call, Ben!
i took a taste with what was left after i kegged it, don't think this ones possible.
its like a table sugar sweetness, it has a strong sweet tea vibe to it.
ive used vienna malt before but only up to 50% of grain bill, didnt resemble what im getting here.

Back