Using infused simple syrup for priming

Classic LL

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently fermenting a grapefruit IPA. I added grapefruit zest at the end of the boil and ended up with a subtle grapefruit flavor and a bit of pith bitterness - which is actually very complementary to the hops. I'd like add some aroma, but worry that I'll double down on the pith flavor if I do an infusion in the secondary.

I'm considering creating a grapefruit simple syrup (I'll occasionally make a batch for making cocktails) for my priming sugar and adding that instead to get more aroma.

Has anyone tried this?

I've used grapefruit vodka for flavor. You have to want higher ABV and allow a little time for it to mellow, but it's pretty great.
If you've got the flavor you want aroma, just dry-hop with a grapefruit-y hop. Most any C-hops will do...Cascade,Citra,Centennial,Chinook. My money's on a Centennial/Citra combo based on a Pale Ale I just kegged up.

Yeah - that's a good idea. I'm currently debating between the hops, zesting the peel with a true zester to eliminate the pith, and experimenting with the flavored simple syrup for priming.

It occurred to me that I've never heard of anyone messing with the priming sugar boil before, even though it's a possible opportunity to sanitize / extract another late addition to the beer. Technically, I guess you could that with hops too.

Yeah - that's a good idea. I'm currently debating between the hops, zesting the peel with a true zester to eliminate the pith, and experimenting with the flavored simple syrup for priming.

It occurred to me that I've never heard of anyone messing with the priming sugar boil before, even though it's a possible opportunity to sanitize / extract another late addition to the beer. Technically, I guess you could that with hops too.
Yep you could but you don't want to boil them hops unless you want more bitterness.

It occurred to me that I've never heard of anyone messing with the priming sugar boil before, even though it's a possible opportunity to sanitize / extract another late addition to the beer.

You don't want any zest in your priming sugar...you're just going to have chunks in the bottles. If it's really important, get some grapefruit extract. You can put in as much or as little as you want.
Also, a lot of the aroma comes from the escaping CO2 lifting the molecules into the air. I wouldn't go by the flavor and aroma of flat beer to judge the final product.
My advice is to bottle it up as is and see what you need to do with the next batch after you've had a chance to judge the final product.

Back