using almond oil in beer

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by gokcenami, Aug 18, 2019.

1. gokcenami

gokcenami New Member

I bought a pure almond oil and I will use it in an Imperial Stout for aroma. I didn't want the aroma itself, I wanted to use the oil because it's natural. I thought of aroma hop extracts were pure oil so it should be fine. Has anyone any idea about how it will effect the beer and how much per liter I should drop it?

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Think amaretto. You can find out how much on your own: Take a measured sample and add a measured amount. When you get the result you want, scale it up to the entire batch. You'll get a better result that way than by following some formula we might give you.

gokcenami and Craigerrr like this.
  3. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

I would think that it would kill your head retention, but if that's not important for this beer, go for it. I recommend doing the add at bottling time by using a measured sample and adding measured amounts to it until it tastes right, then scaling that up to the full volume, because I've never come across a recipe using it to even find a base line to start with.

gokcenami likes this.
  4. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    Adding oil means that it won't incorporate into the beer- you'd have an oil slick on top. Oil and water (beer) don't mix!
    Flavor extracts aren't oil, they are usually alcohol based. Hops extract is not actually an oil- it's resin based. It's extracted via co2 or steam, and aren't really what we thing of as "oil".

Hawkbox, thunderwagn and Mase like this.