using almond oil in beer

Salyangoz

Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought a pure almond oil and I will use it in an Imperial Stout for aroma. I didn't want the aroma itself, I wanted to use the oil because it's natural. I thought of aroma hop extracts were pure oil so it should be fine. Has anyone any idea about how it will effect the beer and how much per liter I should drop it?

Think amaretto. You can find out how much on your own: Take a measured sample and add a measured amount. When you get the result you want, scale it up to the entire batch. You'll get a better result that way than by following some formula we might give you.

I would think that it would kill your head retention, but if that's not important for this beer, go for it. I recommend doing the add at bottling time by using a measured sample and adding measured amounts to it until it tastes right, then scaling that up to the full volume, because I've never come across a recipe using it to even find a base line to start with.

Adding oil means that it won't incorporate into the beer- you'd have an oil slick on top. Oil and water (beer) don't mix!
Flavor extracts aren't oil, they are usually alcohol based. Hops extract is not actually an oil- it's resin based. It's extracted via co2 or steam, and aren't really what we thing of as "oil".

Oil does not dissolve in water; everyone knows this, which means that beer (and beer is mostly water) will not dissolve oil in itself either. Yes, butter and beer don't mix! Any flavor additives that you feel in beer are not oil (and it doesn't matter what you choose clarified butter vs ghee); they mainly consist of ethyl alcohol. As for the hop extract, it is not butter but something similar in consistency to resin. To extract it, CO2 is usually used, as well as it is added and mixed in beer with the help of various devices. If you meant this, I explained the principle of operation to you. And as for the butter, there is no point in adding it.

Oil bad! :D :D Just find a good organic almond extract.

you would have to use an emulsifier for it to work. no idea what you could use that wouldn't Ruin it

@Minbari Oil can be made to mix with Water/Beer if you use an emulsifier like Lecithin. I found it in a Health Food section of Whole Foods. I selected Sunflower Lecithin to allow a Tincture to mix with beer. 2 months later & still no separation.

Good to know

Back