Used the wrong yeast

Kees77

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I brewed a NEIPA just now and pitched the wrong yeast. Figure it won’t be too bad but want to know your thoughts. It’s the avg perfect recipe on this forum and I had Lallamand lalbrew American style yeast but accidentally used the Lallamand London ale yeast. I think it’s an equivalent to Safale us-05. What are your thoughts. Will it turn out? Will it be stay hazy?

It will be fine. A slightly different taste (Mildly fruitier) may be noticed. It will be hazy, possibly a little less than usual, but this won't detract from the beer. My 2 cents.

London takes a bit to clear so you may get hazy. I bet that yeast would make a good NEIPA.

It will be fine, it should hold the haziness, there will be a little fruitiness to it. Part of brewing is making mistakes, this should turn out to be a pleasant one.

accidentally used the Lallamand London ale yeast. I think it’s an equivalent to Safale us-05.
Not equivalent to US-05. London Ale might be similar to S-04 but I don't think so. I suspect that it's less flocculent than S-04 and that will work to your advantage. Attenuation may not be what you'd prefer but it'll be fine.

Actually, Early on with the neipa's London was recommended.
It'll work out just fine

Thanks everyone. I completely agree with it will be beer . I should learn to enjoy the experimental factor. It’s tough spending g the time and not getting the result you wanted.

this was my first brew (~30) using Lallamand. It started bubbling within 6 hours. Thanks again.

Let us know how it turns out!

There are many factors that contribute to a NEIPA being hazy.
Yeast choice is more about flavor than haze.
Having said that, I agree that the London Ale yeast is a good choice for a NEIPA.
Whether it comes out hazy or not will depend more on the "other factors".
Brew, ferment, package, RDWHAHB, consume, learn, repeat!

Back