Trying Voss Kveik for the first time...

I haven't used the Kviek yeast because I can control my temperature which is the only reason I can see using it. I use specific yeast for specific styles for specific outcomes
Enlighten me on what it brings to the table other than being a plow horse
I do like it because it is a plow horse, and at least for me it is perfect for a Hazy/NEIPA. The style is best enjoyed fresh while the hops are singing. Kveik can go from grain to glass in as little as 6 days. I also wouldn't say that it is necessarily the yeast to use if you can't control temperature. I find that you need to keep it hot to get the best results. I don't use it for any other style, so you could say that I use this specific yeast for this specific style. Courses for horses though, I'm not trying to convert you...
 
I use the London Ale III for NEIPA
 
I haven't used the Kviek yeast because I can control my temperature which is the only reason I can see using it. I use specific yeast for specific styles for specific outcomes
Enlighten me on what it brings to the table other than being a plow horse
Only reason that I'm considering it is that I want to pul off a few batches without temp control and my ambient is way too hot. I wouldn't trust regular beer yeasts without temp control even in my house where it's air conditioned. We keep the thermostat set at 78 during the day.
In my garage where I need to keep beers going, it's been averaging near 90 degrees. I'm making whiskey mash which is more forgiving but I'll try to pull off a couple of beers to see how it works. I don't expect to use it at all once my space is renovated and my regular system is back in commission. :)
 
I haven't used the Kviek yeast because I can control my temperature which is the only reason I can see using it. I use specific yeast for specific styles for specific outcomes
Enlighten me on what it brings to the table other than being a plow horse
i use kviek for its speed but also it makes good hazy beer and its a very tough yeast for temp and ph.

for juicy or hazy styles it does a good job biotransfroming and kicks out a really nice stable haze. its FAR more stable then stupid hefe yeast.

I did some reading and it seems like you can spund it and remove most of the off flavors. i would assume that it would slow it down a bit but maybe not?

@J A give it a swing! i would 100% use it for anything with a little hop. if you dry hop on it during active it will throw a nice consistent haze. if you wait for it to drop out before you dryhop it can make clear ipa, BUT if you are throwing a hop that is prone to creeping it will probably creep creep.

things with big flavors like porters and such can easily hide any extra flavors it kicks off.

anything with over say 25 ibus should be fine with voss IMO. especially if it is american hops.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: J A
So use it in beers that are flavorful enough to hide the off flavors or beer you don't want clear
Got it
 
@J A give it a swing! i would 100% use it for anything with a little hop. if you dry hop on it during active it will throw a nice consistent haze. if you wait for it to drop out before you dryhop it can make clear ipa, BUT if you are throwing a hop that is prone to creeping it will probably creep creep.

things with big flavors like porters and such can easily hide any extra flavors it kicks off.

anything with over say 25 ibus should be fine with voss IMO. especially if it is american hops.
I'm going to try the Golden in both styles. The hoppy one should pretty great - I've got plenty of Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe, Galaxy, Azacca. The less hoppy UK version might be fine and if it's not that great, it goes in with the whiskey mash so no loss. :)
 
So use it in beers that are flavorful enough to hide the off flavors or beer you don't want clear
Got it
I thought you said you haven't tried it
 
I mostly brew Pilsner and German Ale styles
I'm the odd duck around here
Using traditional yeast
I can understand why @J A is using it
I think it would work great on a whiskey mash
Not sure about repitched to a beer though
 
I can see a use case for Voss where the hop character is primarily citrus, whether a simple golden ale or an IPA with an in your face, upper cut of aroma or somewhere in between. To my nose and palate, Voss is more grapefruit. Voss is my fastest recorded fermentation: 32 hours pitch to cold crash.
 
I can understand why @J A is using it
I think it would work great on a whiskey mash
Not sure about repitched to a beer though
I probably won't repitch, even from beer to whiskey wash. I never trust buckets much and working at high temps is just asking for microscopic bad actors to find their way into the mix. :)
I found a brick of yeast cheap enough to pitch new for each fermentation. I might get lazy and go right back on top of trub once but it only costs a couple of bucks per bucket to pitch new, so that's my plan for now. :)
 
I can see a use case for Voss where the hop character is primarily citrus, whether a simple golden ale or an IPA with an in your face, upper cut of aroma or somewhere in between. To my nose and palate, Voss is more grapefruit. Voss is my fastest recorded fermentation: 32 hours pitch to cold crash.
I wouldn't hate a solid grapefruit flavor profile. Rotten oranges as @Sunfire96 describes, maybe not so much. :D
Fast is good so I'll be happy to get things moving along. :)
 
Well I'm never in a hurry I let my fermentation go 2 weeks minimum
Low and slow
Never need a blowoff and never have any off flavors
I can see @Bigbre04 using it as a tool to turn over quickly
 
I wouldn't hate a solid grapefruit flavor profile. Rotten oranges as @Sunfire96 describes, maybe not so much. :D
Fast is good so I'll be happy to get things moving along. :)
I don't know gross flavored whiskey is a thing now apparently
 
I wouldn't hate a solid grapefruit flavor profile. Rotten oranges as @Sunfire96 describes, maybe not so much. :D
Fast is good so I'll be happy to get things moving along. :)
Yeah, and that's a pretty good example of how our respective palates aren't the same. I absolutely believe @Sunfire96 when she describes it differently than me; I'm not a grapefruit fan, never have been and thanks to statins, can't have them anyway. Mom loved grapefruit. And liver. Me? Not so much.

Now, Voss + Citra hops to me is a bit of grapefruit overload aroma wise, but lots of other folks loved the aroma and the beer was darn good.
I did a Mexican style lager last year using only 1 ounce of Citra, to about 20 IBUs and it was really good, easy drinking, good aroma, good flavor, played nice with limes ( Don't hate me, I brew some for the neighbors and all ). Yeah, it had a hint of grapefruit, but again, a good beer.

I'm hoping things go well the next 2 weeks, been on lifting restrictions, so no brewing. We'll see how things go, but I do have a few kegs I can swap in if I need.
 
I don't know gross flavored whiskey is a thing now apparently
I've only run a little but it's sort of amazing what does and doesn't come through in a distillate. Open fermentations using a lot of corn can get pretty nasty and the resulting distillate needs serious aging.
I think as long as it's good barley malt or even malt and sugar, the hop and yeast contributions can add interesting notes without getting in the way. Now if you run deep and include the 5% alcohol swamp water at the end of the run when you do the blending, you could end up with some pretty funky flavors. Even then, if it's aged for long enough on good oak, that nasty funkiness turns into "complexity". :D
 
I've only run a little but it's sort of amazing what does and doesn't come through in a distillate. Open fermentations using a lot of corn can get pretty nasty and the resulting distillate needs serious aging.
I think as long as it's good barley malt or even malt and sugar, the hop and yeast contributions can add interesting notes without getting in the way. Now if you run deep and include the 5% alcohol swamp water at the end of the run when you do the blending, you could end up with some pretty funky flavors. Even then, if it's aged for long enough on good oak, that nasty funkiness turns into "complexity". :D
i distilled off a bunch of bottle bomb belgian tripel bombers(lost a whole pallet of bombers, fuck bottle carbing beer) the belgian came through. BUT i was also running a reflux still and my output was around 94%

i would think that voss would make a very nice liquor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J A

Back
Top