Trub in Starter Wort

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Made up some wort for my next starter (I have never done this before), there is some trub in it. When I do use it for a starter, should I try to decant and leave the trub behind? Or should I swirl it up and dump it all in the flask?

Separating it seems like a good idea. It's not going to hurt anything but ideally you want to have nothing but yeast at the bottom of the flask once the starter is done.

I've been pouring off the top of the trub here just to try and keep yeast clean.

Made up some wort for my next starter (I have never done this before), there is some trub in it. When I do use it for a starter, should I try to decant and leave the trub behind? Or should I swirl it up and dump it all in the flask?
I'd go with swirl and dump. It's sterile from boiling, it provides some nutrients for the yeast and it won't hurt beer. The trub is predominantly protein from the wort unless you hopped the wort. I'm thinking of my process here. I generally make starter wort from extract so I don't mind some flavorless protein, think egg whites, floating around either in the starter or in my beer.

Professional literature says hot trub must always be removed. Some cold break can remain.

Interesting range of responses, thanks all.
Wort is in jars in the fridge for future use, so the trub will not be "hot", assuming that hot is referring to temperature.
I may as well swirl and pour when it is time to spin something up. The trub would be in there anyway if I had made the wort and used it immediately for a starter.
Cheers!

No, hot meaning trub from hot break aka boil and cold meaning break from cooling.

I don't remove anything, in a pinch I'll steal some wort after hopping it. I can't think of how you would separate hot and cold break unless you're going hard at scooping the foam before the boil starts.

Depending on how far in advance I make my starter, I either just dump the whole thing if I started it too late and wasn't able to cold crash it or I just decant 75% of the liquid off the top, swirl and dump.

Back