Toast Ales?

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with making toast ales?

I never tried brewing them or even tasting them, and was wondering if it's worth it?

I did mention a recipe on my own blog, but actually never tried making it myself, wanted to make sure it was worth the time and not just a waste of 3-4 weeks :)

Are you talking about using actual toast in the beer? It should work.... I don't know if it's something I'd brew. The yeast in bread, the bread yeast, is dead, a casualty of baking so a beer inoculated with bread is essentially being inoculated with wild yeast unless you pitch new yeast into the beer. Ancient beer was made with bread, the enzymes in the pale malt will convert it so no problem there. Ahh, following all the links I got to the packet of US05. The recipe should work - give it a go.

Yes, I read about a brewery that solely brews using day-old bread, and apparently made very tasty brews. I think it might be worth a go, but just wanted to check if anyone on here have tried toast-ale type recipes and been successful :)

Yes, I read about a brewery that solely brews using day-old bread, and apparently made very tasty brews. I think it might be worth a go, but just wanted to check if anyone on here have tried toast-ale type recipes and been successful :)
I'd just be careful to use something like a sourdough, something made with just flour, water, salt and yeast. Otherwise you're adding milk and butter fats and so forth. Research some of the recreations using bappir (I think I got that right without Google), or just pick up some day-old bread from a real bakery and brew it! Should be fun. And let us know how it works.

I have been wanting to try this with bread being about 20-30% of the grain bill and doing a simple lager. I have a bunch of old wheat bread in the freezer for this purpose but not sure when/if I will get around to it. Please update if you give it a go.

I could imagine if not a Biab brewer the mash tun clean out would be a treat:) and sparge might be something to think about before doe in. Interesting stuff look forward to seeing results!

You could look out for Kvass. If there's some slavic background to your local communities it may be about. And some of the more adventurous/trendy breweries are trying it out. Haven't found any around here though.

Back