Timers

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
I realize there are timers for the brew session within BF, but hear me out. We currently use our iPad on brew day and use an app that allows for multiple timers to be displayed at the same time. The evening before brewday (while I’m making a yeast starter), I create (within the third party app), several timers that are all on the screen at the same time during brewday. For example; I have a timer for:
  • Mash duration
  • Boil duration
  • Hop additions (several depending on recipe)
  • Whirlfloc addition
  • Yeast nutrient addition
  • Whirlpool
It’s rather convenient to just look over to the iPad and see where we are on all timers at any given time. I’m a gadget guy and like nice looking GUI. But the timer app we use, is basic at best.

Again, I realize that there are timers built into BF, but for those of us who don’t always build recipes within BF, it might be a cool app that could reach and bring more attention to BF with a potential free “Brewday Timer” that currently doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
I use a timer (a real timer, not on my iPad or anything :) ) so I'm slow to understand the use of apps for timers, but I agree that if you guys like them we definitely need a LOT of improvement.

I use a timer (a real timer, not on my iPad or anything :) ) so I'm slow to understand the use of apps for timers, but I agree that if you guys like them we definitely need a LOT of improvement.
Basically you enter what the timer is for (mash, boil, hop addition, etc.), then enter the time (60 minutes, 50 minutes, etc., etc.). They would all be displayed on the screen at the same time.

Yeah, I gave up on the BF timers long ago. I'm not real sure if I'd use them even if they were to be improved. I've gotten so used to setting up timers with our google voice, I don't know if I could venture away now! I realize that's not an option for everyone though.

Ditto that: a $5 timer that can count either up or down. Loud, too.

I brew outside and have a timer on my control panel but also a kitchen timer that I synk with the main so I can carry it into the house or where ever I am, I've never had much luck with digital timers on my phone or the website, I actually don't use the computer to brew, I print out the sheet

I also have a timer on my phone. Never use it. And I print out the recipe, I may write on it, call an audible, adjust hops for actual AA content and so forth. It's attached to my brew day record.

Here’s a screen shot using the BORING kitchen timer app called “Timer +” from the apple App Store.

So far it looks like I’m in the minority with using multiple timers and that surprises me. But I think it’d be a cool and simple program that simply doesn’t exist in the App Store anywhere for brewers.

Heck, might even integrate it into the BF software as well. Standalone or integrated.

Attachments

• E6B8AD73-E3BE-43E5-A145-7D5BFF011E8C.jpeg
    E6B8AD73-E3BE-43E5-A145-7D5BFF011E8C.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 202
I’m just looking for a one place that has all the timers for a brew day as an app. Twas just a feature request

yep you gotta watch the timers on your phone sometimes i exit out of the time screen then later on double back mid brew to see if im near hop addition only to discover is bloody paused on me or just stopped!:eek:. yep so i set the phone timer and kitchen timer as backup incase phone time plays its games.

I am with Mase all the way on this one.
I export the recipe to the BeerXML program but, only for the timer. I have music playing during brewing via Bluetooth speaker and brew laptop so when timer goes it's loud.
The only reason I use BeerXML is for the timer, if there was a timer like this in the Brewing Calculators section I would be very happy! (You could open 2-3 or more to work with)

It’s sooo much easier to start all the timer at once and no more fussing throughout the brewday. I agree that not everyone uses timers the same way, but then again, not all brewers brewdays are the same either. Just hope Yooper and the programmers consider this as a nice addition for those of us that would really enjoy it.

Feature request: Maybe a slightly different dashboard that shows current step more highlighted, and a BIG timer for Mash, Boil, etc.depending on if its AG, Partial, Extract, etc., smaller timer for sub-step timers.

Having the timer on the bottom enabled helps, but it's too small to see across the room. Also, custom sound, the one included is SUPER quiet, and it doesn't repeat. I think you should have to "acknowledge" or Silence the alarm once it starts going off.

I'd suggest this:
  • Brew Day timer, medium size, showing total time elapsed since starting the brew session
  • Current Step timer, Large, showing total time elapsed for current main step like Mash, Boil, etc, stop/start/reset buttons, acknowledge alarm to stop alarm sound, custom sound ability
  • Sub-step timer, small, multiple alarms possible, showing time remaining for things like hop and flavoring/adjunct additions

Any thoughts on better timer display on BF?

Let me tag Andrew @avantassel and get his thoughts. I'm definitely a "less is more" kind of girl, and I'd love to hear from others who may appreciate the same type of upgrade on the timers.

Thanks. Totally get the less is more attitude.

I'm just thinking something larger and more visible, maybe in the header of the page, that shows the current countdown at the very least. I run this on a touchscreen PC hanging on a monitor arm in my home brewery, and sometimes I'm maybe 15 feet away.

Also, changing the timer to Loop until "acknowledged" would be good, and allow custom alarm sounds. I barely hear this one over the rumble of the boil and churning of the pumps.

As long as there’s also a stand-alone-ish type of display with multiple timers. I say “ish”, because I do use the recipe builder and the timers can come from there, but not just for the “Brew it” features.

Back