Think I should have used a blow-off tube! Help defuse the bomb!

I had planned on waiting a full 14 days to take a FG reading and bottle in order to lose less beer to my hydrometer. Would it be worth it to check it at 7-10 days instead? Normally wouldn't be trying to rush it but bottling early would mean having an empty fermenter just as I start my vacation and have more ample time to brew...
Patience, grasshopper! Let it go the full 14 days. Fermentation will be done in max. 7 but the beer improves with time.... Buckets are cheap, if you need another fermentor....

A refractometer and correction software (a correction calculator is available here) eliminate that problem. Unfortunately, I think that approach has also released a ton of green beer on unwitting homebrewers. Give the yeast a chance to complete their work, your beer will be much better for it....

I had planned on waiting a full 14 days to take a FG reading and bottle in order to lose less beer to my hydrometer. Would it be worth it to check it at 7-10 days instead? Normally wouldn't be trying to rush it but bottling early would mean having an empty fermenter just as I start my vacation and have more ample time to brew...
I agree with Nosy but will admit that I have done 10 days with Notty myself without ill effect. I understand it can be hard to wait.

I had this happen once, went to blow off for every brew after that. This was my eruption, approximately two years ago, bot enough head space...
IMG_20180818_0828098.jpg

You know the old adage?

If you've ever mopped your ceiling, you're a real homebrewer. :)

Sometime I'll tell you a couple of stories of some of my biggest messes. One was a flood that even got written about in a brewing magazine, and one was even more stupid than that.

So now that things have calmed down I figured I'd remove the blow-off tube from the center post of the 3 piece airlock because the longer the krausen sits in the tube the more impossible it'll be to clean. This also happens to be my racking tubing although I ordered more tubing and it should be here today. Anyways reassembled the airlock and filled with star san then I ran hot water from the sink through the tube at full pressure. Got most of it but there's some stubborn specs left. Used my bottle brush for some at the very end of the tube. Any cleaning suggestions? Right now it's just soaking in hot water.

Maybe soak it in some PBW, or some unscented oxiclean, make it hot, like 150F 160F.

Or beat the goalie and clanged off the post?
i'd say your blow off tube is in the 3 star selection at any rate.
Painting the ceiling is a time honoured tradition though.

Maybe soak it in some PBW, or some unscented oxiclean, make it hot, like 150F 160F.
So I got all the visible debris out by just soaking in hot water and then forcing water through it again. Bought some PBW though and I'm planning to use it on my bottles. Cleaned all my bottles last time with hot water, mild dish soap and a bottle brush. Most of them are fine but a few of the bottles aren't. They were all visibly clean but I noticed that some of the beer that was bottled in bottles from Saranac is different and has some off flavors. My father-in-law also has noticed Saranac bottles are pretty stubborn to clean. He uses bleach and then rinses, I'm going to try PBW. He also is going to give me a spare bottle sprayer.

Anyways my only real question because it's not clear from the label, do you wear gloves with PBW?

So I got all the visible debris out by just soaking in hot water and then forcing water through it again. Bought some PBW though and I'm planning to use it on my bottles. Cleaned all my bottles last time with hot water, mild dish soap and a bottle brush. Most of them are fine but a few of the bottles aren't. They were all visibly clean but I noticed that some of the beer that was bottled in bottles from Saranac is different and has some off flavors. My father-in-law also has noticed Saranac bottles are pretty stubborn to clean. He uses bleach and then rinses, I'm going to try PBW. He also is going to give me a spare bottle sprayer.

Anyways my only real question because it's not clear from the label, do you wear gloves with PBW?
I honestly don't know if it is necessary, but I do wear gloves with PBW.

I personally don't but it probably wouldn't hurt. I've got tough, calloused construction hands so my hands are a mess anyways and a little extra cleaning never hurt.
You can also use Oxyclean versatile fragrance free and it is cheaper and does a very good/similar job. Save you a little $.

Quit worrying about those problems when I discovered Fermcap-S. Two drops per gallon will greatly reduce the amount of Krausen without affecting the final product. It also works well in the boil kettle and when boiling starter wort. Cheap insurance too.

I use fermcap in the boil but never thought about it in fermentation.

If it is in the boil, won't it cary through to the fermenter .

I always use a 1/2” blow off tube for the first few days of fermentation until I’m sure there won’t be any volcanoes. Then, I switch to an airlock.

I'm with you dry guy...especially with browns ales. I have noted them to make a taller krausen and more likely to clog the lock....I have a habit of being stingy on headroom so serves me right but by thinking ahead with a blow off tube of adequate diameter; I have dodged the painted ceiling bullet.....but finding a bottle neck with a cap still on it after not making my daily basement walk around for a couple days....well that is another story!

Hey @SabreSteve ....didja have any visions of "the Hurt Locker" when you were defusing that thing? :eek::eek::eek:

If it is in the boil, won't it cary through to the fermenter .

It should. I use it when boiling starter wort and don't have a problem on the stir plate like I used to.

Back