The trifecta

I did the Brewhouse Shuffle 2 weeks in a row.
Last week it was Kolsch from secondary carboy to keg, Summer Lager from primary carboy to secondary carboy, Pale ale into primary carboy.
This week it was Summer lager into keg, skipped secondary with an Oktoberfest-style Ale and went directly to keg from my bucket primary, brewed an Oktoberfest lager and put it in the bucket.
It's a lot of cleaning and racking and lifting but a lot of it can be done during a 90-minute mash and during the time it takes to cool down 5-gallons of wort.
I found a way to minimize lifting by making a CO2-pressure transfer cap for my carboy. Works like a charm! No contact with oxygen and extremely easy to rack super clean. The pressure does build up a little as the headspace in the carboy increases...had the cap pop off a couple of times, but no harm done...just blows out a little CO2 and startles the crap out of you. o_O

Did it today. I kegged an original lager recipe to make room for the Continental Pilsner I brewed today. I also racked my original amber ale recipe, which I brewed using roasted barley, something I hadn't done before. I'd been using black patent for color in that. It's nice moving beer around like that, because I can clean and sanitize and reuse carboys, instead of washing them, storing them, and then washing them again the next time.

Reactions: J A
Fourfecta. It's time to rack my other lager as well. On a related note, my grass is a foot and a half tall!!

I guess I do this fairly often. Today it was out of need. I have two 6.5 gallon carboys and one 6 gallon carboy. I don't like using the smaller carboy for ales. There is a greater propensity for a blowout. I had a 4 day old ale in the 6.5 gallon carboy, so I racked it to a secondary a wee bit early. It hadn't yet begun to clear, but the bubbles were slowed to a semi halt. Today I'm brewing Charlie Papazian's Holiday Cheer. That beer is a big hit when I brew it. 17 lbs of fermentables, almost. It'll need the head space.

Today I plan to brew a Longboard Lager inspired beer. I'll keg a honey amber ale and a Camden Helles lager inspired beer. I also plan to rack my standard porter recipe that I flavor with raspberry or coffee, but this time it will be vanilla, wife's request. Somehow I bet I don't get all of that done!!

Today I plan to brew a Longboard Lager inspired beer. I'll keg a honey amber ale and a Camden Helles lager inspired beer. I also plan to rack my standard porter recipe that I flavor with raspberry or coffee, but this time it will be vanilla, wife's request. Somehow I bet I don't get all of that done!!

sunshine? varoom varoom? nope

Well I did get all of that done. During brew day I blew a keg as well. Tomorrow, I'll keg one or two more. Can't have an empty tap!

Empty taps are an abomination !
I'm a sinner myself for now as I have empty taps , kegs and bottles
Even looking at wasting precious water and doing a double brew day with a borrowed Immersion chiller just to speed things up
Having 2 fridges in my shed tempts me to run 3 batches at once and fill everything

Mate I can't nail down one brew let alone three now that would be a marathon brew day!

There's only been one brew day I've had where I felt a desire to brew again same day. That wasn't today!

Friend has just set up a new system , think we could manage to get a 15 gal batch done on that
5 in his grainfather and another 6 on my urn if we really pushed things .
would have to rope in a few assistants though and actually brew sober for a change

woah, what? brew sober ? lol

I managed 2 brew days in 1, adding a third would make things beyond interesting...

Back