The Importance of Cleaning...

I usually toss them in a tub of water and take them apart to soak. Sometimes hops get stuck in them and it doesn't flow right. But you can always just flow a bunch through them too, won't hurt anything.
I follow this method with an added twist: I use hot cleaning solutions. Each of my ball valves has hot caustic and acid run through them during my CIP procedure.

If you're running BLC or other appropriate beverage line cleaner through your lines and faucets, as you should be periodically, you shouldn't need to disassemble them unless they are obstructed. Every time I disconnect one from the post, I give it a couple of good sprays with Stasan solution too. Disassembly is petty simple if needed.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the fitting. I kinda thought they were one piece all glued together forever. I had one on the tool box and after actually looking at it I see there is a screw top on it that allows the top to be disassembled. Take a look at what I found in there.

upload_2020-12-4_15-46-44.png

I used to write it as mr_skittle, which is much more clear. There must have been some places that wouldn't accept the underscore so I switched it to mrskittle and so it stands. In our phallocentric society assuming everyone will read it as Mr Skittle was just a given. I guess that shows I'm just as susceptible to sexist assumptions as anyone else.

I assumed it was Mr. Skittle purely because I thought it was a reference to the candy.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the fitting. I kinda thought they were one piece all glued together forever. I had one on the tool box and after actually looking at it I see there is a screw top on it that allows the top to be disassembled. Take a look at what I found in there.

View attachment 13108
Is that your gas disconnect??

I take my liquid (black) disconnect apart after every kicked keg for a good soaking and scrubbing, but I only occasionally clean my gas (gray) disconnect. That might have to change.
Be careful not to lose that little flat washer that seals the top. If you soak it in a cup, it usually floats on top and is easily, accidentally dumped down the drain. :oops:

That was just an extra in the tool box. I have since taken my others apart except the ones currently on my kegs and those looked clean.

Yup, if you end up wiht hops in the keg it can really plug those things up.

Back