The Importance of Cleaning...

Yep. Definitely important to remove, disassemble and thoroughly clean and sanitize the spigot and seals. DOn't forget to do the same with your bottling bucket if you use one.

I can relate to your year. I had the COVID back in February before it was even on the radar here in the midwest US. It scared the shit out of me big time when I lost taste. I was worried it was messed up permanently but it came back after about 10 days.

I also had to dump a batch, but only one due to infection. The next couple brews had some anxiety because of it but you gotta get back on the horse. The replacement batch of the one I dumped is days from the keg now so that will be the redeeming moment.

I think it's human nature to slowly start neglecting the mundane details of cleaning. Our brains put these repetitive, boring tasks in the autopilot category after we settle in a routine and we have to stay diligent.

Someone commented about using as little equipment as possible. That's a good approach. These all-in-one, closed systems seem to have so many nooks and crannies where infection can hide.

I can relate to your year. I had the COVID back in February before it was even on the radar here in the midwest US. It scared the shit out of me big time when I lost taste. I was worried it was messed up permanently but it came back after about 10 days.

I also had to dump a batch, but only one due to infection. The next couple brews had some anxiety because of it but you gotta get back on the horse. The replacement batch of the one I dumped is days from the keg now so that will be the redeeming moment.

I think it's human nature to slowly start neglecting the mundane details of cleaning. Our brains put these repetitive, boring tasks in the autopilot category after we settle in a routine and we have to stay diligent.

Someone commented about using as little equipment as possible. That's a good approach. These all-in-one, closed systems seem to have so many nooks and crannies where infection can hide.
I have no idea how long you've been brewing but it's a valuable lesson: If you mess up weighing ingredients by a percent or two, it likely won't matter. You mess up your sanitation and you end up with five gallons of swamp water. Beginners can get away with this for a few brews because their equipment is clean and wort-loving bugs haven't found their breweries. Then, eventually, it happens, an infected batch, then they're cleaning everything with full-strength bleach and whatever industrial cleansers they can get their hands on.... Hyperbole, sure. It's humbling, but cleaning and sanitizing are the two most important activities we do as brewers. It's part of what I call the "attention to detail" part of brewing.

I'm sure your subsequent batches will be fine. In all of my brews, only one has had to be dumped due to sanitation - it was unpasteurized strawberries that did the deed.

Let me put it this way:

I've been brewing a short enough time that its excusable but long enough to know better. My methods and cleaners are up to par. That is to say I didn't go overboard with nasty cleaners. It's simply attention to detail that was overlooked.

Let me put it this way:

I've been brewing a short enough time that its excusable but long enough to know better. My methods and cleaners are up to par. That is to say I didn't go overboard with nasty cleaners. It's simply attention to detail that was overlooked.

I have to ask...is it Mr. Skittle or Mrs. Kittle...sorry! :)

Let me put it this way:

I didn't figure you to be a complete noob. Throwing it out there for any who may read the post.

Ha. Good question. I've never even considered Mrs Kittle! It's intended to be Mr. Skittle. It's a username I've been using different iterations of for years.
Haha, great user name and it works either way, so I was just curious and hopefully not imposing.

I had been wondering, but too afraid to ask ;)

Or it's a reading test.....

upload_2020-11-27_18-57-31.jpeg

But we digress...

I used to write it as mr_skittle, which is much more clear. There must have been some places that wouldn't accept the underscore so I switched it to mrskittle and so it stands. In our phallocentric society assuming everyone will read it as Mr Skittle was just a given. I guess that shows I'm just as susceptible to sexist assumptions as anyone else.

Is there any trick to cleaning a ball lock fitting (the plastic end)? Just soaking or flowing through it get clean?

I usually toss them in a tub of water and take them apart to soak. Sometimes hops get stuck in them and it doesn't flow right. But you can always just flow a bunch through them too, won't hurt anything.

If you're running BLC or other appropriate beverage line cleaner through your lines and faucets, as you should be periodically, you shouldn't need to disassemble them unless they are obstructed. Every time I disconnect one from the post, I give it a couple of good sprays with Stasan solution too. Disassembly is petty simple if needed.

My neighbor, Mrs Kittle, has been pissed off for years. Every time she tries to subscribe to an on line group she is told that her name has already been taken.

Back