The beer you like to brew...

Do you have a recipe with the pepper timing? I'm not really happy with how mine has gone.

Do you have a recipe with the pepper timing? I'm not really happy with how mine has gone.
I brew in 5 liter (1.32 gal) batches, so you will probably want to upscale this.
This is coming off the top of my head, but it's how I make it!
Very simple recipe.
The amounts are for MY Picobrew Pro system.

2 lbs 2 row pale
1lbs Golden LME
1 hour @152 degrees
14 grams Cascade for 45 minutes
14 grams Chinook for 20 minutes
14 grams Fuggles for 5 minutes
whirlpool for 20 minutes down to 155 degrees
Add a small handfull of sliced pickled jalapenos, I use one of those tea basket
things so's I can get them out without too much fuss
I let it cool naturally for about 6 hours to get to around 85 degrees
Pitch the yeast (safale US-05) and wait until active fermentation is done.
Then you can add your carbonation drops, sugar, honey or what have you to carbonate.
Leave it alone for AT LEAST A MONTH.

Hope this helps.

Ok so you add peppers at the end of boil? Or in the fermenter?
In the fermenter. Technically speaking, its not really a DRY HOP, but it is after the brewing process is essentially over.
What amounts are you going to be brewing in, because if you are going to be brewing in the 27 to 35 liter range, I would suggest using a smaller amount of Ghost Peppers. You can use 5 Ghost peppers sliced for the entire five or six gallons.
Just sayin'

Yeah 21L is my volume. I'd say 4, or habaneros until I can find ghost peppers.

Ok so you add peppers at the end of boil? Or in the fermenter?
I've added mine at about 5 minutes left in the boil and the beer turns out fine. I'll give you an alternative though that imo works even better. I prefer my chili's roasted for all the flavor roasting brings. I peel and clean the peppers (seeds and pith) but I don't go all anal. I like to do a mix of peppers that are hot and some that don't bring a whole lot of heat. This helps with having a nice chili flavor with just a bit of heat. Of course if you like the heat, you can adjust the amount of hotter peppers and seeds and pith (vein) you leave with the peppers. I've used as much as 2 lbs of peppers per 5 gallons with great results. Now, once I have the peppers done, I put them in a large jar and cover them with a neutral spirit like vodka or Ever Clear. I typically do this before I brew and leave it sit till I'm ready to keg. If you have the time, making a tincture a week or so before you brew works great. That way it can sit for a couple weeks. Strain the hot nectar into your keg. Enjoy.

That makes sense, I've been trying to dial in a nice heat for a while. Jalapeno's don't really do it for me, to much vegetable flavour for the amount of heat you get.

My favorite and the one I mostly brew is a Blond Ale at around 4.2%, easy drinking not a lot of Hops but still pleases my hoppy friends
Cheers!

Last edited:
I guess I am old school and much older than you chocolate milk drinkers and enjoy Beer like it has been for several hundred years. I was basically kicked out of my house at 18 and realize many of you are pushing 30 YO and still living with Mommy and never been in the Military or even the Boy Scouts for that matter. Probably spend half your day playing Video games on the computer. Having said all this I think that there should be a separate forum for Adults and juveniles on this subject!.!
WTF?

That was weird spam.

I did not realize until I opened my email this morning that I posted on this forum. I was on another forum at the same time and was interrupted and when I opened the page back up it was BF an I did not realize it.
I apologize MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Merry Christmas, we all have days like that sometimes, no worries.

Definitely still some weird bitterness but good it was at least just an accident. I find I am brewing more and more lagers recently, even though I really like West Coast IPA I find I don't brew them much. Not sure why.

I did not realize until I opened my email this morning that I posted on this forum. I was on another forum at the same time and was interrupted and when I opened the page back up it was BF an I did not realize it.

What's the expression? Christmas is for-giving?? ;)

Thanks for stepping up! Merry Christmas and we all have those days that find us searching for the "unsend" button....

Classic nothing like the Christmas Rage good on you for owning up!

Back