The beer you like to brew...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
CFA0F355-E695-4AAA-AB0D-0C31063F0782.jpeg

Saw this on Facebook, other than some corn grits here and there I’m pretty much in the “4 ingredients” camp. Where do you fit in?

I'm also in the less is better camp. That's not too say I don't mind trying new or different things, but I usually buy those brews rather than make em. I don't mind sampling and having a pint or two, but there's no way I would want a full keg of off the wall sh*t.

I like to think simple but not against a fruit beer or a complicated porter. But i steer clear of stuff like capn crunch or heavy spicing. Hell I'll taste most any offering though.

Just a beginner, but definitely in the Belgian beer types. Well, blondes and tripels that is
I prfeer without too many extra's, but I can see myself using some coriander seed, orange peel etc

I want to brew a Tripel and try a lager even though I'm not much of a lager drinker. I mainly brew IPA and brown and Blonde ales. I need to expand my brewing but space and equipment keeps me in check:mad:

I throw all sorts of crap in my beers:p but I also like to brew basic beers.
I'll brew a succession of "booring" beers then get all out there on one.
Like the aniseed myrtle stout I'm still thinking of brewing.

Also at shopping with missus on weekend I see this jar if caramel topping like a jam spread thing had a look on the back ah no preservatives I said to the missus I might pop that in a brown ale:eek::confused:;)!

I don't like to paint myself into any corners. I might have 4 or 5 different hop varieties in a batch, with 2 grains, or I might have one hop, and 6 grains. Or I might......
Flavorings or spices though I must side with Nosy, never want to over do it, keep it subtle.

I don't like to paint myself into any corners. I might have 4 or 5 different hop varieties in a batch, with 2 grains, or I might have one hop, and 6 grains. Or I might......
Flavorings or spices though I must side with Nosy, never want to over do it, keep it subtle.
I'm with you on this Craigerrr. I like to try off the beaten path hops with different grain combos as well.

I'm with you on this Craigerrr. I like to try off the beaten path hops with different grain combos as well.
I brew simple because that's what I prefer. That hasn't stopped me from making a damned good chili pepper beer, attempting to get the flavors of nutella into my beer, some wildly spiced beers, strawberry hefeweizens.... My working mantra is if I can make simple beers well, I can make complex ones well - I've reached the point where my recipe is changing things, I'm not seeing variability from the process. So when I go off the beaten track and do, say, a Speltweizen, I know the changes are from ingredients, not process.

And that's the basis of my recommendation to perfect a simple beer before going on to more complex stuff.

I love the picture! It is true in so many ways. I, myself, went the opposite way over the years. When I first started brewing I kept adding all kinds of stuff - ginger, chocolate, banana bread, spices, etc.

Now I love serving folks a flight of Shuttz beer and watching as they remark about how well balanced most are yet how they all taste uniquely different. I rarely add anything other than water, hops, malts and yeast these days...

The father's day porter I made had distinct notes of espresso and chocolate and everyone asked if I put one or the other in there! I loved smiling and saying "Nope. Not at all. What you taste is coming directly from the malts I used."

I do like to occasionally use things like chocolate, molasses, honey or corn though. :) Oh, and I typically make a cucumber blonde ale roughly every other year or so.

When it relates to Porters or Stouts, I can't see using 4 or less... because so much goes into these (malt wise).
Light colored and Orange/Red hues... I don't use more than 4 (typically 2 or 3).
Hops are a different topic for me, I use one for bittering! then 1 or sometimes/rarely 2, for flavor and aroma.
I try to keep my recipes very simple/basic. All the tastes come from the Malts and Hops.
To each his/her own; nothing wrong with imaginative/creative beers, I have tasted many that I like... just that I don't like them enough to have 10+ gallons available. ;)

I agree, you are correct sir.
I went off on a tangent. ;)
No worries. I too use more than 4 malts in a brown ale... I just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand. :)

I like an off-the-wall beer here and there too but like you surely wouldn't want 5+ gallons on tap!

I like a balanced jalapeno or habanero beer. I don't over do the peppers, just a handful as a dry hop.
You get the initial burn but it goes away before the next swallow.
Perfect accompaniment to spicy TexMex!

Back