The 1 brewing ingredient you won't use again.

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Megary, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Nothing here I've had crap beers but can't blame them on anything but me screwing it up.
    I've brewed many a beer with kviek more with hornindal and Framgarden I'm planing on resurrecting my save Framgarden yeast and brewing a batch with it soon.:)

2. Dornbox

Dornbox Active Member

Belma hops! The only time I’ve ever made a beer so terrible. Might not have had anything to do with it but I’m scarred for life. The batch was like chewing on aspirin only worse.

Interesting about the hate for Kveik. I’ve had crap luck with Voss Kveik. I haven’t had a batch finish yet that I started with it but after co pitching S05 as the Kveik started to stall, the combo has made some stellar IPAs. I’ll put it in the love to hate category right next to crazy x girl friends and abusive relationships. o_O

3. Herm_brews

Herm_brews Well-Known Member

Window glass and screen tech
    Patience helps with everything, in my opinion. Given that we are rapidly approaching summer here in sunny Southern California, I’m sure that there is a place in my brewery for the use of Voss. It won’t be for the speed of fermentation, but for the lack of temperature control. I want to keep working with it, and find the niche where it works for the fermentation of my ales.

Craigerrr, Megary and Zambezi Special like this.
  4. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Maltotrios is the cause I believe.
    What? Well kviek yeast smash out the simple sugars sucrose -maltose then turn to Maltotrios they struggle to ferment this more complex (Alpa Amylase) sugar.
    Therefore a co pitch with let's say a Chico strain will achieve complete attenuation.
    Ah all them podcasts I've been listening to lol!

Or target Beta Amylase in the mash to create a "more" fermentable wort beta around 60-64c.

5. Zambezi Special

Zambezi Special Well-Known Member

For me Voss kveik works 'cause of high temperatures and no control. The speed is not really important.
    Once I get my other set of solar panels up, I can start running my fermentation fridge. Maybe then I change my mind :rolleyes:

6. west1m

west1m Well-Known Member

The boss keeps telling me I can't add rice to my beer anymore. She says it made it too strong and I get too liquored up and slur words and walk badly.
    I tried to tell her it was just an experiment.

7. Donoroto

Donoroto Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    Maybe that's my problem. But I am very satisfied with my brewing experience so far, so onward!

Herm_brews and Craigerrr like this.
  8. Daniel Parshley

Daniel Parshley Active Member

With an explanation point. "Voss Kveik yeast. Never again!!"

9. Daniel Parshley

Daniel Parshley Active Member

Special B is getting beat up a bit. I use Special B in my bride's English Brown with Chocolate #350, Caramel #40, and Biscuit. These 4 steeping grains seem to work together. A little bit of Victory in place of the Biscuit works, too. Otherwise, only a small amount of Special B seems to be advisable or it will most certainly dominate the flavor profile.

J A likes this.
  10. 56 Firedome

56 Firedome Well-Known Member

Retired
    For me, it's Black Patent malt. It tastes like I licked an ashtray after a big party. Tri

Craigerrr, Trialben and Sunfire96 like this.
  11. Megary

Megary Well-Known Member

I've not had a winner with Special B yet, but like I said, I'm willing to take blame for that. So I haven't ruled it out forever.

I've only used it twice and between 2-3% of the total grist. What I got was hard to describe, but "heavy" comes to mind. It was like a super-rich-malty-concentrated flavor that had incredible depth for how little got used. I can see it working for sure, I just haven't figured out how yet.

Daniel Parshley and Sunfire96 like this.
  12. ttsalo

ttsalo Member

BE-256 and WB-06 dry yeasts for abbey and hefeweizen styles. Never made anything even close to what I wanted with either. After switching to liquid alternatives? Great beers right away. I'm sure there's some way to make great beers with those two, but I'm not going to waste any more time and ingredients while trying.

13. NorthWest Small Batch Brewing

No fermentation temp control? Try Kveik they said. Summer weather. Try Kveik they said. Want to make beer fast. Try Kveik they said. Want beer that tastes horrible? ..... ya try Kveik. lol.

14. The Brew Mentor

The Brew Mentor Well-Known Member

I used it twice and was dissatisfied with the results.
    I was doing a build out and can't guarantee I didn't expose the wort to airborne construction dust, so I'll have to try it again at some point.
    But, I will say, both beers had an unusual bite to them.

_Stephen_ likes this.
  15. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Yeah...it's like an off flavor that you can't quite put your finger on. I had a blond ale at a local brewery that I knew the brewers were quite proud of and when they asked me how I liked it I just couldn't be enthusiastic and told them that I just didn't really like it. When they mentioned it was a Kveik beer, it all made sense. I realized that it was a "clean" beer with no brewing faults but the yeast flavor was out of place and unpleasant.
    That being said, I had a "summer lager" from a brewery I like in Tacoma, Washington and thought that it was quite good and pretty properly flavored. I suspect that they filtered or actually lagered for a reasonable length of time to lose the yeast flavor.

16. Zambezi Special

Zambezi Special Well-Known Member

What I've noticed so far (in my limited experience) is that kveik voss improves with longer fermentation, carbonation and cooling than normally said for this yeast.
    I would say it does well by high temperatures and close to "standard" times. 1-2 weeks fermentation, 7-10 days carbonation and an absolute minimum of 3 days in the fridge, but preferably longer

17. Donoroto

Donoroto Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    Actually an ingredient came to mind: WB06 yeast. I thought I'd try a new wheat beer yeast, since I love Hefeweitzens, and did not realize this one was a diastaticus strain.

The beer was mediocre, and I had to sterilize everything that touched the yeast. Worse beer and extra effort, what fun :rolleyes:

Zambezi Special likes this.
  18. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Uh oh my next batch will be with BE-256 :eek::).
    I hope I don't get tarnished with the same brush.

19. Over The Cliff Brewing

Over The Cliff Brewing Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not discerning enough to dislike any one thing to not use it ever again. I have a Voss Citra Session on tap now that is pretty good. Misuse of Rye malt will create a drain dumper. I learned to be very careful with rye. I still use it.

20. soccerdad

soccerdad Well-Known Member

Crazy ex girlfriends for sure. I threw one in the brew kettle once and it was a disaster.