The 1 brewing ingredient you won't use again.

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts from people noting how they have had success using this or that in their recipes. But what about something that you've tried and have now vigorously written off for any future brew?? Yeast, hops, malt, brewing salts...whatever.

There are definitely a few things that I haven't had success with but I'm willing to acknowledge that those faults may have been mine, not the ingredient's (S-04, Sabro, Special-B). So, I haven't completely written any of those off just yet.

But...

Sorachi Ace is definitely out for me. If I wanted that much DILL flavor, I would have made a nice Salmon or maybe a potato salad with these hops. :eek:

Any other ingredients that are loathed by the BF community?

Kind of a tie between Kveik isolates and stevia. Stevia, just no.

Hmmm. Nothing comes to mind, but I'm not the type to push the envelope.

Pickle beer. Huh.

Not a fan of....
Lactose.
Special B.
Voss Kviek.
Safale 04
To name a few.

Not really an ingredient, but no more gelatin for fining! Tired of cleaning that gooped mess at the end.

There's a lot of you putting down Voss Kveik...
It's been a life saver for me though.
Finished work for today and having a primitive cranberry/apple cider, made with Voss :p

There's a lot of you putting down Voss Kveik...
It's been a life saver for me though.
Finished work for today and having a primitive cranberry/apple cider, made with Voss :p
Shamelessly, when I started this thread, I was kinda hoping someone would dump on an ingredient that someone else loves! Maybe start a rational, level-headed discussion into the merits of said ingredient. Or a fracas. ;)

I've never used Kveik yeast strains, but I do believe that they have their time and place. For many brewers, figuring out what niche it can serve might be more experimenting than it is worth. Especially when there are so many fantastic, clearly defined strains of yeast already available.

Shamelessly, when I started this thread, I was kinda hoping someone would dump on an ingredient that someone else loves! Maybe start a rational, level-headed discussion into the merits of said ingredient. Or a fracas. ;)

I've never used Kveik yeast strains, but I do believe that they have their time and place. For many brewers, figuring out what niche it can serve might be more experimenting than it is worth. Especially when there are so many fantastic, clearly defined strains of yeast already available.
Way to stir the pot! Love it.

Rabble rouser huh. ;)

Never used kviek either. But in my experience. Nothing is ever free. More speed gives up something else

Since I don't like coffee, I'm not a fan of roasted barley in anything.

Honey malt...too cloying for any style IMO
Melanoidin malt...unctuous and inky flavored

I've had some beers brewed with Kveik yeast and I'm simply not a fan of the flavor. If that's the only way you can brew a beer or are a small brewery that benefits from the time savings then it has its place but it's nether "clean" or "neutral" in terms of the beer it produces.

I know a lot of people use S23 yeast and like it. I hate that $#1+. Just makes a fruit bomb. I had some left in the refrigerator and I threw it in the boil as a nutrient.

Although, on second thought, would it work for a fruity IPA? Maybe I'll try it one more time.

I can't actually think of an ingredient that I said "never again" to. Maybe I need to be more adventurous in order to find something I don't like... for me so far everything I have used has been used in the appropriate brew. As close as I came was using VOSS in a coffee porter, it wasn't good at first, but after aging it mellowed and the "VOSS" tang disappeared, and the brew was as it should have been.

Back