Temperature during fermentation

LilBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was doing my first brew and was not home for the first 24 hours of fermentation. When I got back the next day it was at about 27 degrees celcius, so I'm guessing it got a bit warmer than that over the 24 hours period? I'm using Safale US-05 yeast. Since then it has sat within the ideal temperature range. I'm not sure how much of an off taste I will have from the higher temperature. Do you think I should see the brew through or start again? The original gravity was about 1.045 in case that is relevant.

Thanks,
Lily.

Hi everyone,

I was doing my first brew and was not home for the first 24 hours of fermentation. When I got back the next day it was at about 27 degrees celcius, so I'm guessing it got a bit warmer than that over the 24 hours period? I'm using Safale US-05 yeast. Since then it has sat within the ideal temperature range. I'm not sure how much of an off taste I will have from the higher temperature. Do you think I should see the brew through or start again? The original gravity was about 1.045 in case that is relevant.

Thanks,
Lily.
Definitely see it through - even if just to see the effects of the temp. Had fermentation started during that 24 hours?

There may have been a bit of off-flavor produced. However, since it was early in the fermentation, the amount may be low enough to “blend in” with the rest of the fermented product.

US-05 is a pretty hardy yeast. It is certainly worth seeing through to the end and checking the final flavor.

You'll likely get a lot more esters than you'd usually get from US-05 - fruity flavors that if too much is there, think overripe strawberries. You may get some hot fusel alcohols as those esters reduce over time. But you'll get beer. And you'll know what a hot fermentation tastes like in the future. And who knows, you might like it!

Yeah, plus 1 what those guys said....What's that old commercial? Try it....You'll like it!

Definitely see it through - even if just to see the effects of the temp. Had fermentation started during that 24 hours?

Thanks! Seems like thats the general consensus :) There was some small bubbles, a little foam/bubbles layer on the top and condensation so i think fermentation had started

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll give it a go and know for next time!! :)

Thanks! Seems like thats the general consensus :) There was some small bubbles, a little foam/bubbles layer on the top and condensation so i think fermentation had started
Yeah it had started. No biggie though. My first beer was awesome - I still remember it! - But it did have a slight fusel alcohol taste to it (and plenty of esters... certainly due to a warm fermentation. I was just still so awed that I made it myself that it barely ever registered! :)

You sound like you have it under control now and you may not even notice anything being amiss. Like Bubba said - US-05 is pretty hardy!

one thing to keep in mind is "Proper" temperature is a consensus more than anything. If you run the yeast warm and like what it puts out, then you have no reason to not do it again down the road. Taste is very subjective.

Back