Sweet beer/poor attenuation

Jazzy_J

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey again guys. First off, thanks for all the help while I've been getting into this hobby.
For my last brew, I tried cali yeast instead of using s-05, figured it was cheaper for more. I brewed a pretty tame extract pale ale (1.046 og, about 30ibu). I rehydrated and pitched my yeast at about 75 degrees. I then moved it into my fermentation fridge set to 60 and let it go. It was fermenting pretty vigorously the next day, bubbling for the better part of the week.
I took my first reading after 10 days, saw it was at 1.012ish, but it was still sweet. I cranked the temp up to 70 to try to encourage it to drop a bit, but no luck. I didn't try rousing the yeast, which I suppose I should've. I figured it isn't a super high flocculating yeast, so it wasn't worth it. I realize it isn't super high, but it is so sweet. Beer soda.
The recipe was 2 lbs wheat dme, 3 lbs dme, and 1 lb 20l crystal steeped for 20 minutes at 155.
Think it'll be possible to bring it down? I was considering pitching a packet of voss that I have and moving it into my hot garage. If I do this should I add nutrients since there isn't much going on in there? Make a starter? Aerate after pitching?
Let me know if there is hope!

Assuming it’s done (it may have another point or 2 to go), you already got 74% attenuation from the yeast. Assuming WLP001, that’s right in its wheelhouse.
But 1.012 shouldn’t really leave a sweet beer. Possibly the beer was underhopped, leaving no balance to the malty sweetness and all that crystal?

Assuming it’s done (it may have another point or 2 to go), you already got 74% attenuation from the yeast. Assuming WLP001, that’s right in its wheelhouse.
But 1.012 shouldn’t really leave a sweet beer. Possibly the beer was underhopped, leaving no balance to the malty sweetness and all that crystal?
I thought about that too. I know it's only a couple points off being in the attenuation range (75%-80%). I also considering boiling some hops for a bit to make a bitter tea and adding it.
I've made a similar recipe at the same ibu and og and it was much drier, though that could've been perceived dryness if my hop scale was off. The only difference was I did a 30 minute boil, but compensated with more bittering hops (magnum). I knew going in it was a lot of crystal, I just wanted to get rid of it. I figured since it was only 20 it wouldn't be too sweet.

If you're sampling un-carbed and un-floc'ed beer, it'll be sweeter than in the glass. Carbonation alone really changes the perception of sweetness. It's true that a beer like that would be better at .008 or so but sometimes extracts just don't go where you think they will. I'd let it sit for another week at 70 and see where it goes. Maybe just a little swirl but don't get too rough with it.

Once carbonated it will be a different beer.

Back