Stupid things I did for Homebrew today

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Pardon me if there's already a thread for this, but after this morning, there needed to be. :rolleyes::p

I've been fermenting, carbing, and serving from the same keg using a spunding valve for a year. I'm doing a NEIPA, and decided to transfer from the fermenting keg to a purged serving keg for the first time. Had a keg filled with Star San water, and set up to transfer to another keg. Attached my spunding valve to the receiving keg, and couldn't get a psi reading to save my life. I burped the keg, which did have gas in it. Eventually, I unhooked the jumper line, and discovered it actually was transferring. After 45 minutes of fussing and cussing, I finally realized I'd inserted the blow off tube into the wrong i/o on my spunding valve. No wonder it wasn't registering. Stupid, Stupid me. :rolleyes: Luckily, I won't be transferring the actual beer for a few days. That's at least one mistake I won't be making again.

Last edited:
I connected the "in" and "out" backwards once. Took a minute to figure out why the beer wouldn't come out, lol

Done the starsan in the keg and done the blowtie spunding valve backwards and I've done it whilst fermenting thinking hmm no activity after a day lol :p

There is another thread in this vein

You know you did it wrong when

Done the starsan in the keg and done the blowtie spunding valve backwards and I've done it whilst fermenting thinking hmm no activity after a day lol :p

There is another thread in this vein

You know you did it wrong when
I saw that. Doh!

I saw that. Doh!
Funny I tried to search the thread and link it in and still couldn't even though I knew it existed so don't blame you for starting a new thread.

Your only human man I've done all them dumb things and more.

A few years back I brewed a beer at a bachelor party. I of course started drinking early, and after the boil and chill, started racking the beer to the fermenter as my buddy asked, "Dude, did you sanitize that carboy?!" Incidentally, we got lucky, and the beer turned out fine. I've thankfully never made that mistake again!

Back