Stuck Keg

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A bit of a problem here: I have a half-empty keg of a decent IPA and for some reason, nothing comes out when I try to pour from it. I've upped the pressure, blown gas backward through it, nothing.

Any ideas how to free it up without ruining the beer?

Thanks in advance...

The dip tube, and or the liquid post are likely blocked with hop debris. When you blow gas backwards through it you may stir up the debris again. If you have a spare dip tube, and a spare liquid post, you could swap them both out pretty quick if you take care with sanitization. Maybe cut a half inch or an inch off the end to prevent from picking up more debris. Or just take the dip tube out, clear it and refit it.

While I'm not a kegger, that makes sense given the little topology that I know about how the work...unless that was the route that you took already going " backwards"...pinched line somewhere?

Do you use straight diptubes or floaters?

The dip tube, and or the liquid post are likely blocked with hop debris. When you blow gas backwards through it you may stir up the debris again. If you have a spare dip tube, and a spare liquid post, you could swap them both out pretty quick if you take care with sanitization. Maybe cut a half inch or an inch off the end to prevent from picking up more debris. Or just take the dip tube out, clear it and refit it.
I assumed it was the dip tube.... I have a floating dip tube I may install. Was hoping someone had some advice on avoiding oxidation. But then, I'm opening a supersaturated CO2 solution to the air. As long as I flush the keg after doing what needs to be done, I should be fine, I think.... Any opinions on that approach?

I assumed it was the dip tube.... I have a floating dip tube I may install. Was hoping someone had some advice on avoiding oxidation. But then, I'm opening a supersaturated CO2 solution to the air. As long as I flush the keg after doing what needs to be done, I should be fine, I think.... Any opinions on that approach?
I have opened my kegs a few times when the tubes were getting stuck above the liquid line. as you said, flush it and it wont hurt anything. just make sure your hands are clean.

only issue I had with the floaters is leave the diptube 90% the original length and just add like 8" of tubing. it will float above the trub and stay submerged most of the time.

I've removed dip tubes to unclog. On the there was simply no flow, it's been iced lines, or once in my chest freezer, a frozen keg. You shouldn't need to open your keg. Just kill release all pressure, remove the keg post and pull the tube. Clear it and replace it.

I went ahead and installed the floating dip tube, and JA was right. The dip tube was clogged at the post with hop debris. This will be my IPA keg in the future...
I had a keg of an IPA once that I fought for 2 solid weeks before I got the last of the hop sludge out of it. It would clog up and foam like crazy, I'd take the tube out and clean it, it would pour a glass or two and do the same thing the next time I hit it. It drove me nuts. I bought a hop-spider for dry hopping after that. :D

I had the same issue a couple of brews ago. After the second day I just installed a floating dip tube and now i hop in hop socks to avoid this annoying issue.

I had this problem too and I didn't manage to do it without ruining the beer.

I’ve had to open a few times. Once actually because my floating dip tube got tangled. I’ve been lucky in oxidation so far on the different times I’ve had to open. Maybe my hop rate is low enough? Or like @Nosybear says the beer being saturated helps?

I had this problem too and I didn't manage to do it without ruining the beer.
Ugh. Can't click 'like' for that.

What exactly did you do, and how was the beer ruined?

Back