Stuck Belgian Tripel

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Paradactal, Oct 30, 2020.

  1. Paradactal

    Paradactal New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2020
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hey guys and gals, I have a stuck fermenter and I need some help deciding how to move forward. I brewed an all grain Belgian Tripel. Its been in the primary for 13 days stuck at 1.037 (6.3 brix). OG was 1.079. I originally made a starter using Lallemond Abbaye at 1.7L using 5.89oz of DME using the shake method> This is where I think I went wrong. I let the starter go only 12 hours. Anyway, Im stuck and Im trying to get down to 1.008. Beginning of fermentation was very healthy with a blow off tube at 68-72*. I cooled down the best i could in an ice bath to keep it near 67. I have since built a fermentation chamber and it is sitting in there stuck holding at 67*. My question, I have 2 more packs of the same yeast in the mail. The website suggests i packet needed for the current gravity. Should I make another starter with 1 packet? Im not sure if the current alcohol level affects yeast being pitched. Should I make a starter based on OG (1.079) or current gravity (1.037). Or just rehydrate or sprinkle on top. Its been stuck now for about 5 days. Never had a stuck fermenter. I also now have a stir plate.
     
  2. Frankenbrewer

    Frankenbrewer Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2019
    Messages:
    458
    Likes Received:
    690
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Location:
    Connecticut
    At this point I would just sprinkle the yeast on the top and let it rip.
     
  3. J A

    J A Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2016
    Messages:
    3,474
    Likes Received:
    2,689
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    I doubt you need more yeast. Assuming a 5 gallon batch, and assuming you pitched the entire starter rather than decanting, your pitch is probably fine. You could be under-oxygenated and there's not much to do about that. Abbye doesn't have a reputation for stalling, but it's likely to restart on it's own if you raise temp. Mid to high 70s isn't out of the question.
    Raise temp, maybe give a swirl if the yeast is starting to settle and clear and let it sit for another week. I guess pitching the other yeast won't hurt, but I've never gotten a stuck fermentation to move that way.
     
    Trialben likes this.
  4. Trialben

    Trialben Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2016
    Messages:
    9,437
    Likes Received:
    9,502
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Occupation:
    Pest control tech
    Location:
    Palmwoods QLD
    Yep I'd heat and swirl
     

Share This Page

arrow_white