Struggling with hops at altitude

Walken100

Premium Member
Reaction score
In my equipment profile it says my utilization is 84% @ 5089 ft, Most of the documentation I've found in the past shows me at ~65% utilization. Prior to using brewers friend I used the 65% to adjust my hops with good results. I'm concerned that I'm going backwards on hops. I'm seriously considering adjusting my elevation until I get to 65% utilization. Any thoughts on how to manage this in recipes going forward?

As a side note it would be good if when copying a recipe from brewers friend if we could see what elevation the recipe used for calculations.

Last edited:
I did not even realize that elevation would effect this. Do you know why it does?

I did not even realize that elevation would effect this. Do you know why it does?

Temperature. At my elevation I boil at 204 degrees. Hops utilization is very sensitive to temp. I wasn't aware of it until one of my locale brew masters pointed it out.

Of course, you can change the utilization percentage scale manually.

073B832F-0FD2-41BE-8CB0-31A44DED0089.jpeg

Holy crap did I miss that... thank you

Ok, I'm going to have to play with this, I cant generate an effect. If the listed elevation correction is accurate (84%) then adjusting the factor to 67% should change the IBU's. No joy, at least not yet. I may be applying it wrong but I'll spend some time with it before I raise a red flag

Ok, I'm going to have to play with this, I cant generate an effect. If the listed elevation correction is accurate (84%) then adjusting the factor to 67% should change the IBU's. No joy, at least not yet. I may be applying it wrong but I'll spend some time with it before I raise a red flag
Yeah, I set mine to 96% for 1000' altitude, but it seems a bit low. At this time, I am not very concerned, but one day I'll fiddle with it more. To be honest, my taste buds are not so refined to tell the difference between 10 or 20 IBU difference.

Yeah, I set mine to 96% for 1000' altitude, but it seems a bit low. At this time, I am not very concerned, but one day I'll fiddle with it more. To be honest, my taste buds are not so refined to tell the difference between 10 or 20 IBU difference.

I made three boring ass IPAs before I realized what was wrong.

In my equipment profile it says my utilization is 84% @ 5089 ft, Most of the documentation I've found in the past shows me at ~65% utilization. Prior to using brewers friend I used the 65% to adjust my hops with good results. I'm concerned that I'm going backwards on hops. I'm seriously considering adjusting my elevation until I get to 65% utilization. Any thoughts on how to manage this in recipes going forward?

As a side note it would be good if when copying a recipe from brewers friend if we could see what elevation the recipe used for calculations.

Did you just change the % in the recipe builder or in your settings? That may be the best way to do it, if you are not happy with the current estimate. Here are my settings for my low altitude:
upload_2023-5-24_13-28-26.png

Did you just change the % in the recipe builder or in your settings? That may be the best way to do it, if you are not happy with the current estimate. Here are my settings for my low altitude:
View attachment 25511

I have to get back and play with this more. However I changed the utilization to 65% from the altitude adjusted 84%. There was no change to the recipe or IBUs calculated. With 5 different utilizations that can be changed I may not understand the process. But changing the boil utilization or the utilization multiplier has had no impact to the recipe. I'm missing something

I have to get back and play with this more. However I changed the utilization to 65% from the altitude adjusted 84%. There was no change to the recipe or IBUs calculated. With 5 different utilizations that can be changed I may not understand the process. But changing the boil utilization or the utilization multiplier has had no impact to the recipe. I'm missing something

I'll have to dig into this- can you send me a link to the specific recipe where this is happening so I can recreate and see what's going on?

I'm having the same issue. Here's one I created to test with. I created two equipment profiles based of the Anvil 10.5 at both sea level and 7000ft and there's no difference in IBU calculations between the two. Also, neither set of numbers match up with the numbers from the standalone IBU Caclulator

I'm having the same issue. Here's one I created to test with. I created two equipment profiles based of the Anvil 10.5 at both sea level and 7000ft and there's no difference in IBU calculations between the two. Also, neither set of numbers match up with the numbers from the standalone IBU Caclulator
I believe that they are working on this. I've had some off line discussions where the problem was recognized. You have to make the adjustments in the recipe itself for each hop addition.

I just wanted to let you know that we do have an open support ticket on this, and are working on it. @Walken100 mentioned the workaround, which I know is not ideal and I apologize for that. I am hopeful that it is not a difficult fix and can be incorporated ASAP.

Back