Strong chemical like smell to wort/beer

I know I sound like a broken record, but. if you suspect bacteria or yeast issues in your ferementor. iodorfor works wonders. it will kill anything and fairly quickly. it is made by 5star (same company as star san)
And I can add that during the fermentation? Edit: Nevermind, had to read better, I'll blame a cafeinne deficiency...

Last edited:
And I can add that during the fermentation? Edit: Nevermind, had to read better, I'll blame a cafeinne deficiency...
Ha ha , no. Its just a hard core sanitizer

Narrow down your "chemical" smell...is it "medicinal" (iodine, chlorine, bandaid) or is it "solventy" (acetone, cleaning fluid) or something more organic like sharp blue cheese, or maybe other discriptor that may help imagine what it is that you're experiencing.
In the end, it's probably an infection because all of those things can occur as a result of esters produced during bacterial metabolic action.

Narrow down your "chemical" smell...is it "medicinal" (iodine, chlorine, bandaid) or is it "solventy" (acetone, cleaning fluid) or something more organic like sharp blue cheese, or maybe other discriptor that may help imagine what it is that you're experiencing.
In the end, it's probably an infection because all of those things can occur as a result of esters produced during bacterial metabolic action.
It was a sulfur smell, not one I'm used to. It has now almost completely gone and the dry hopping is having its effect.

To all weighing in; thanks a lot for helping and teaching me some things! Seems like this batch 'll be just fine!

It was a sulfur smell, not one I'm used to. It has now almost completely gone and the dry hopping is having its effect.

To all weighing in; thanks a lot for helping and teaching me some things! Seems like this batch 'll be just fine!
Yeah...the first time you experience sulfur off-gassing from fermentation, it can be disconcerting! I've had some lager fermentations that made it all but impossible to be in the garage! :D :D

Another thing to consider, there's a ton of dry hopping mechanics out there. Certain hops give more tropical fruit esters dry hopped early and others late.

You actually could be exacerbating the problem by dry hopping and leaving it sit for 10 days

I think your problem is a yeast ferment temp problem, and it'll go away as soon as your yeast isn't fermenting on the high side

Another thing to consider, there's a ton of dry hopping mechanics out there. Certain hops give more tropical fruit esters dry hopped early and others late.

You actually could be exacerbating the problem by dry hopping and leaving it sit for 10 days

I think your problem is a yeast ferment temp problem, and it'll go away as soon as your yeast isn't fermenting on the high side
Looked up the window for the US-05 Yeast that has been used. It's safe to ferment up to 25 degrees celcius, am I mistaken in thinking that I'm not really near it's upper limit at 22,5 degrees?

Looked up the window for the US-05 Yeast that has been used. It's safe to ferment up to 25 degrees celcius, am I mistaken in thinking that I'm not really near it's upper limit at 22,5 degrees?

Are you taking the temp of the fermenter, or the vessel it's sitting in? If it's in something like a fridge, garage, etc, the actual temp of the fermenting wort will be 2-3 degrees higher because fermentation is an exothermic reaction

I personally wouldn't ferment anywhere near 25. If you're going into the mid 20's just use kwiek or Saison yeast. If not brewing a Saison, go kwiek. Specifically Lutra or Oslo if you can get it and want a neutral flavour.

If yeast isn't your issue, you're 1000% getting an infection somewhere.

If neither of those, you're pulling from the bottom of the keg/fermenter and just getting the yeasty bits on the bottom.

Are you taking the temp of the fermenter, or the vessel it's sitting in? If it's in something like a fridge, garage, etc, the actual temp of the fermenting wort will be 2-3 degrees higher because fermentation is an exothermic reaction

I personally wouldn't ferment anywhere near 25. If you're going into the mid 20's just use kwiek or Saison yeast. If not brewing a Saison, go kwiek. Specifically Lutra or Oslo if you can get it and want a neutral flavour.

If yeast isn't your issue, you're 1000% getting an infection somewhere.

If neither of those, you're pulling from the bottom of the keg/fermenter and just getting the yeasty bits on the bottom.
Temperature sensing sticker on the outside of the stainless steel fermenter, haven't given it a go of probing it's temperature in the liquid.

Temperature sensing sticker on the outside of the stainless steel fermenter, haven't given it a go of probing it's temperature in the liquid.
Yes, that sticker can be 1 or 2 degrees (C) lower than the hottest parts of the wort, but I agree that you are close to a maximum temperature but not really exceeding it.

Back