Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Cream Ale recipe feedback

You could also call it an Amber.

I don't think I'd try to do a cream ale with this level of flavoring.
It stops being a Cream Ale, or for that matter any BJCP style, as soon as you start adding the flavors. What you call it doesn't matter, but it's good to start somewhere when it comes to building up a recipe like this.

So I just wanted to report back how the beer went. Its great. tastes just like my wife's crisp recipe which we had the other night for comparison. I ended up going with my pared down 4 malt recipe with a tweak since my local brewshop got cleaned out of a lot of stuff so i went with what was available. I tried the suggestion of putting the strawberries in at high krausen and it may have caused the beer to have a dry finish. Other than that everything worked out great. I get the strawberry,, tartness from the rhubarb, vanilla and subtle hint of cinnamon though I'm thinking of adding a lil more cinnamon to really help it shine. I really want to thank everyone for their help and advice. I learned a lot with this beer in the recipe building aspect and making sure not to over do it. I still have lots of rhubarb and strawberries so I think i going try to do JA's version next. I may have to go to a different brewshop with more grains available. They are a bit further of a drive though. Overall it turned out great for an experiment and I appreciate this great forum for all the help.

Attachments

• 37669750_2352038498154448_7354181408979419136_n.jpg
    37669750_2352038498154448_7354181408979419136_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: J A
Awesome!! Now you have me really wanting to try it. Post your final recipe if you're willing. Don't know if I could find rhubarb here, but it might show up at one of the foodie organic stores.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/671141/strawberry-rhubarb-crisp-ale

the spices and flavorings are to taste and i added some notes on the strawberry additions.
I like the way you approached this beer. You reached out of the box to make it the flavors you wanted. Brown sugar on roasted rhubarb should add only more alcohol but could add the caramel candy flavor of a great desert . Strawberries have a lot of sugar in them so to balance them with fermentation is a personal choice with how you want them to stand out.
Ya got me thinking too. Our rhubarb is almost done but strawberries are doing well...hmmmm.
Edit:Maybe soaking cinimon sticks would make it more pronounced and not over th e top?

I like the way you approached this beer. You reached out of the box to make it the flavors you wanted. Brown sugar on roasted rhubarb should add only more alcohol but could add the caramel candy flavor of a great desert . Strawberries have a lot of sugar in them so to balance them with fermentation is a personal choice with how you want them to stand out.
Ya got me thinking too. Our rhubarb is almost done but strawberries are doing well...hmmmm.
Edit:Maybe soaking cinimon sticks would make it more pronounced and not over th e top?

thank you. It's definitely a learning experience and I think when i try it again ill make some tweaks and ee how things turn out differently. Thats the fun with brewing beer in such small batches. You can always try something different and not worry too much about losing that much beer.

Back