STC-1000 failure

If your talking about the relays the ones in my 308 are mechanical. If you can hear them click that is the case. Solid state ones have far more cycles. The symptom of my failure was that the temp readout looked correct (68) but the actual temp of the beer was 45. This leads me to believe the probe went bad or the board had a problem with the probe signal.
Got it! And true, wasn't thinking about the controls.

I'll stick with my Johnson controller. Solid state seems to last forever! I've had 2 for over 10 years and they work perfectly. YMMV
Cheers,
Brian
I agree it is a very good controller. IMHO, it one the best you can get. It has a huge temperature range and I have never had a single problem with it in 6-7 years.

But I think the output is a standard SPDT relay, unless you you know different. If it's solid state, I don't see any kind of heat sink. If it's solid state, I can hand it down to my grandkids when I'm dead and gone.

I agree it is a very good controller. IMHO, it one the best you can get. It has a huge temperature range and I have never had a single problem with it in 6-7 years.

But I think the output is a standard SPDT relay, unless you you know different. If it's solid state, I don't see any kind of heat sink. If it's solid state, I can hand it down to my grandkids when I'm dead and gone.
Have the Johnson controller as well. When I built the Keezer two and a half years ago, I struggled a bit with programming it, but haven’t had to touch it since. I’m sure I’d have to read up again as I have no idea how to program it now. :D

I've got an analog Johnson on my keezer. I got the original about the same time as the Ranco I've used on 3 fermentation fridges. Replaced the Johnson a couple of years ago, so sticking with the Ranco as my favorite.

Analog.jpg
Analog Johnson? :D

Yep. Just looked at the label. Penn by Johnson Controls. I'm sure the original didn't mention Penn.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it is - no one works with tubes any more - but the solid-state part likely isn't the problem. It'll be a circuit board or connection that's gone bad.

Well there's the audio nerds that scare me with the money they'll pay for tubes in amps (but then audiophiles are really in a class of their own).

I got another STC-1000 yesterday. It really does have a 2 meter probe.

Back