Splitting brew day

WesBrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been doing this for about 6 months with great results. Recommended by someone when I was complaining about length of brew day .
At night I prep hlt, heat water, mill grains into mash tun. Run the mash. Mash out. Sparge into kettle put the lid on, Clean up. 2.5 hrs. Wort should be pasteurized.
In the morning I turn on kettle. After boil starts, go have coffee n whatever, finish boil, chill . Transfer to fermenter and clean up. Also about 2.5 hours.
Wondering what others process is , particularly with pasteurization. some raise to a boil the night before. some leave on all night . I felt like it was handled with the mash

I’ve been doing this for about 6 months with great results. Recommended by someone when I was complaining about length of brew day .
At night I prep hlt, heat water, mill grains into mash tun. Run the mash. Mash out. Sparge into kettle put the lid on, Clean up. 2.5 hrs. Wort should be pasteurized.
In the morning I turn on kettle. After boil starts, go have coffee n whatever, finish boil, chill . Transfer to fermenter and clean up. Also about 2.5 hours.
Wondering what others process is , particularly with pasteurization. some raise to a boil the night before. some leave on all night . I felt like it was handled with the mash
I was recently looking into this, and I think as long as you hit proper mash out temps (about 168F) it should be fine

A buddy of mine does that regularly, but I don't know his complete process. My last brew I took advantage of my Brewzilla with pump, and timers, and let it mash all morning while I worked. More or less split the brew day up into two distinct sessions.

I've also read about some people leaving the mash running over night (without pumps/recirculation) and lauter/sparge the next day. It will result in a highly fermentable wort, and probably not best suited for some beer styles

I was recently looking into this, and I think as long as you hit proper mash out temps (about 168F) it should be fine
Mash-out is actually in the Pasteurization range so your wort should be sanitary. No problems at all with splitting the brew day in that case!

I've also read about some people leaving the mash running over night (without pumps/recirculation) and lauter/sparge the next day. It will result in a highly fermentable wort, and probably not best suited for some beer styles
This is what my buddy does come to think of it!

That is a downside: Unless you've done a mash-out, the enzymes are still working in there, chewing up whatever dextrines they can find.... So there is the possibility of producing a more fermentable wort than you'd intended. So if I were going to leave a wort overnight and boil it the next day, I'd be sure and do a good mash-out at 170 degrees to pasteurize the mash and to denature the enzymes.

That’s exactly what I do, but even if you don’t heat the mash up for mash out, I’d think 150+ for an hour is pasteurization. I suppose one could just fire up the kettle for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Splitting makes everything else I like to do possible with weekend brewing. My Last brew I did session one Saturday night. Finished at 11pm. Got up at 6am (a little tough) for session 2, finished cleaning at 8:30 and was off for 9am tennis

The night before brew day I bring the brew kettle, mash tun (cooler), etc. upstairs and fill the kettles with strike and sparge water. When I wake up on brew day I just turn on the stove to heat the strike water and make the coffee. That way I can slowly wake up as the water heats up.

I just set a brew day and brew. If it take 6 hours, it takes 6 hours. I do, however, mill the grains and haul everything upstairs to the kitchen the night before. I then slowly return the items I no longer need to basement once I am done with them. I get my stair climbing in and can skip the walk around the neighborhood that day.

A split Brew Day has been my standard method for about 3 years. I break the 1st day at the Mash Out. I drain the finished Mash into a couple of carboys, your boil volume will be more than 5 gallons. I move the carboys indoors & put air checks on. I wash up everything I don't need the next day & knock off till morning. I then pour the carboys into the Kettle & light the burner. Boil continues as normal.
Since I ran the Mash per the Infusion Steps in the recipe there's no worry about over doing the Wort going into the fermenter. The Wort is safe from contamination by the air checks but it's on its way to the Kettle where it will be boiled anyway.
1 thing I did discover the "Cooling Off Suck Back" of the water in the air checks as the Wort cools. But I use water so no worries.

I just set a brew day and brew. If it take 6 hours, it takes 6 hours. I do, however, mill the grains and haul everything upstairs to the kitchen the night before. I then slowly return the items I no longer need to basement once I am done with them. I get my stair climbing in and can skip the walk around the neighborhood that day.

I'm with Frank...6 to 8 hours and steps too.....maybe memory......lemme get back to you on that! :rolleyes:

no way , no way I would have moved into all grain brewing if I had to haul gear up a flight.

A split Brew Day has been my standard method for about 3 years. I break the 1st day at the Mash Out. I drain the finished Mash into a couple of carboys, your boil volume will be more than 5 gallons. I move the carboys indoors & put air checks on. I wash up everything I don't need the next day & knock off till morning. I then pour the carboys into the Kettle & light the burner. Boil continues as normal.
Since I ran the Mash per the Infusion Steps in the recipe there's no worry about over doing the Wort going into the fermenter. The Wort is safe from contamination by the air checks but it's on its way to the Kettle where it will be boiled anyway.
1 thing I did discover the "Cooling Off Suck Back" of the water in the air checks as the Wort cools. But I use water so no worries.
Could you just runoff into the kettle? Or is there no cover

I've done mash overnight.
Recently I've been completing the whole brew and leaving to cool down overnight then transferring wort and cleaning kettle next day.
I set extended chill to 20mins (time for wort to drop below 80c).
These beers were lagers so any infection I would have picked up pretty easily.

The first beer I tried it on was Bulins shady Bohemian that beer tasted fantastic.
Recent was Vienna Lager and it's tasting great and dropped clear as day. Maybe these beers will suffer from oxygen exposure over night as it sits in kettle one way would be to purge the headspace.

I've got another batch of shady boh in fermentor that was overnight chilled oh and mashed for 5hours :eek:

Back