Spike Nano floor plan

toffle

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I am assisting a local restaurant in setting up a small craft brewery onsite at their facilities. After a few months of trial batches on a pair of Brewzilla 35s, we are looking at moving up to a Spike Nano system. (We considered a Brewha setup, but we don’t quite have the ceiling space that system requires) I know the space requirements for the Nano’s three vessels and cart, but I’m not sure how much additional space to factor in for working areas, fermenters and safe, efficient movement in the workspace.

We are fortunate enough to have a choice between a couple of locations, but each would require a somewhat different configuration.

Does anyone have experience with setting up a Nano system? How did you allocate your additional spaces?

Thanks so much!
Tom

brewpub I go often has a 5bbl system. they have 5 or 6 fermentors along the back wall with all the piping for the chilling system above them. the brew kettle and mash kettle are in front of the fermentors. they have a 2 ton trolley overhead for lifting heavy objects. (I assume also that they lift the mash tun up and over the boil kettle when they need to drain it,)
they have a portable pump and hoses to move liquid from the boil kettle to the fermentors.

in total they have a space that is about 30' x 15' square.

brewpub I go often has a 5bbl system. they have 5 or 6 fermentors along the back wall with all the piping for the chilling system above them. the brew kettle and mash kettle are in front of the fermentors. they have a 2 ton trolley overhead for lifting heavy objects. (I assume also that they lift the mash tun up and over the boil kettle when they need to drain it,)
they have a portable pump and hoses to move liquid from the boil kettle to the fermentors.

in total they have a space that is about 30' x 15' square.

Thanks,
The Nano will surely have a somewhat smaller footprint, but the working space will likely be comparable.

Are you set on electric?
Not 100%. It IS a restaurant, so they are quite well equipped for gas. After a few months of waiting for our pair of Brewzillas to boil, I just want something that won't make time our enemy.

Not 100%. It IS a restaurant, so they are quite well equipped for gas. After a few months of waiting for our pair of Brewzillas to boil, I just want something that won't make time our enemy.
Ruby Street does a really nice job and has multiple fuel options.
I've used the propane and converted to natural gas and really like it.
Talk to Brian at Ruby Street to see if something they have would be a fit for what you need.
If you do, tell him I said hello!
Cheers

I designed a control system for a 3 barrel brewery. The kettles came with 4 ports for 5500 watt heaters. We felt the amount of power was too low since the brewer wanted to "turn and burn". We added 2 more 5500 watt heaters for a total of 33kW per kettle (both boil and HLT). The system works well and the kettles are up to temperature in @45 minutes. The downside is the amount of current needed. It requires a single phase 400 amp/240 volt service. The upside is very tight control, no worries about carbon monoxide or chimneys and it can be a simple, reliable design.

Electric works well up to 3 barrels, gas works better going bigger, up to 7 barrels. More than that you will need a steam plant and steam jacketed kettles.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. Our target brewhouse is 1-2bbl, and though we're not wholly tied to a particular system at this time, this particular question is about the Spike Nano setup, What we are trying to determine is the space requirements besides the brewing vessels and fermenters. We have some flexibility in this regard - one option has more available unobstructed square footage, while another has more ceiling space. Both spaces would easily accommodate the Spike system. We are asking in regard to the other space requirements of a small capacity brewery.
Thanks again for your replies.
Tom

Back