Sourness

Ostad

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a new brewer and i live in a country that beer doesn't get sold here. But we have non-alcoholic beer and the easiest way to brew is to add sugar and yeast to those alcohol free malt beverage. I've tried that method twice(first time with baking yeast and the second time with wild yeast extracted from raisins) but both of the times my beer had a hint of sour taste and sour smell. Do you know how can i get rid of that sourness?

Wild yeast generally will give you a sour flavor, since it's usually also with lactobacillus. Bread yeast isn't great, but if you use it try to keep the temperature low, like under 20C. If you use an airlock and keep it away from air, it may turn out better.

Wild yeast generally will give you a sour flavor, since it's usually also with lactobacillus. Bread yeast isn't great, but if you use it try to keep the temperature low, like under 20C. If you use an airlock and keep it away from air, it may turn out better.
Thank you for your advice
Do you know if there is a way to kill the lactobacillus?

Not without killing the yeast. As Yooper says, keep it as cool as possible, once it's fermented keep it cold, that should help.

Lots of lactobacillus struggle with hops. If you can get your hands on hops you could pre-boil the starter beer with them. Then add the sugar while it's still warm to help it dissolve then add the yeast once it's cooled.

Lots of lactobacillus struggle with hops. If you can get your hands on hops you could pre-boil the starter beer with them. Then add the sugar while it's still warm to help it dissolve then add the yeast once it's cooled.
Good advice too.

If you have other interests besides beer, bread yeast makes a fine mead.

Yep, and apple juice makes cider :)

Apple cider is ridiculously easy to make.

Back