something like guinness

LarryBrewer said:
I'd let it go at least 14 days in the primary, then keg.

Thanks Larry ill do that , im intending to put this away for christmas once i keg it should i gas it straight away or should i be storing it for a while and carbonating later. after christmas il have temp control for my fermenters, untill then im at steady 15.4 c under my stairs

You don't have to hook up the gas right away. It will take about 2 weeks to carb up.

Thanks everyone for the input for this recipe, this brew is well ready to drink and we dont think it's going to last till christmas, i went with this recipe http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... dark-irish
the results are stunning its the best brew ive done to-date, its turned out so much better than i expected, used 500 ml can of 5 day soured guinness nd threw it in 5 mins from flameout, it smells and tastes alot like guinness and has 4.99% abv ,so a little stronger than expected..

sw water came back to me with my water profile and recipe editor called for some chalk/calcium and a few grams of acidulated malt, i was slightly under on my second mash temp but hit my first hours temp perfectly under stair fermenter cupboard was at 15/16 c fairly constant during fermentation...
there's not a cats chance in hell of us saving any for christmas, im going to brew this again when i get some time from work, its just superb

cheers
lee

I have an idea for the next batch (and the next batch of dry stout I do). Guinness is made using "stale" beer from previous batches, blended with the new beer for tartness. For my last beer I did something called a sour starter: You draw off or make a small batch of 1.03 wort, maybe a quart or two, boil it 10 minutes to kill off anything that might be alive in there, cool it to 110° - 120°, throw in a handful of grain and hold at 110° for about 3 days. The result is a lacto culture. For a Guinness-style beer I wouldn't sour the main mash, I'd just filter and add the starter at the beginning of the boil to get the slight "tang". For best results I'd imagine using the original Guinness-style wort for the sour culture but I haven't figured out the logistics of mashing, holding the mash and souring the starter for three days just yet, maybe freeze a quart or two from a previous batch then, three days before brew day, thaw, boil and pitch the lacto. The results wouldn't be 100% predictable but you could get the nice sourness this way. Maybe a new experiment....

Hi all, I had an opportunity a couple of years ago, to go head to head with a corny keg of my Irish stout and a keg of Guinness. A brewing friend of mine, Mike, owned an art gallery and put on a show for a group of water color artists returning from a painting trip to Ireland. Several of the Artists are Irish. I had a keg of stout ready to drink and went to the affair CO2 bottle and all. What Mike and I didn't know was the Tour-groups leader had sprung for a keg of Guinness. There was no contest, I won hands down! At the end of the evening the tour leader came over and congratulated my on my Stout. Mine had more body, flavor and was much smoother. It really is a fantastic beer, if I may say so myself!---and I may! Here it is.... Kiwi's all grain stout
My tap water is very hard and ideal for a stout. Used 3pints of water/1lb of grain. 7lbs pale malt,1lb flaked barley, 1lb crystal malt, 1 lb roasted barley. 10 lb total:- pitched into 3 3/4 gals water at 170f stabilized at 155f held for 1 1/2 hours, starch tested, sparged with 2gal water at 170f, boiled wort for 1 hour with 1oz of Bullion and 3oz Northern Brewer. 1 tsp of Irish moss at 45 mins. Yeast is White Labs WPL004 Irish. Ferment slowed after 6 days at regular room temp, racked into secondary for three days and kegged. Sat in brew fridge on 25lbs CO2/nitro mix, for three days before first drinking. I used Line and Papazian for the model for this. Cheers Kiwi

Back