Smoked Amber Lager...its your fault!

What percentage did you run with In the end there man.

I was surprised at the percentage I used it that Grodziski 90% .

I think starting low and dialing it in is the smart approach don't wanna Tail Pipe Lager lol
I think it was at 11%? It's subtle right now and should show as the yeast falls out and it gets to terminal.

The type of smoked malt matters too. Some are alot more potent then others. I used best malz smoked malt, but it was a year old so it's lost some of its potency.

I would say 15% would still fall within subtle to me!

I think it was at 11%? It's subtle right now and should show as the yeast falls out and it gets to terminal.

The type of smoked malt matters too. Some are alot more potent then others. I used best malz smoked malt, but it was a year old so it's lost some of its potency.

I would say 15% would still fall within subtle to me!
Amen good luck your a brave man! :)

some friends of mine are organizing a series of style competitions, and the second one is Amber Ale (the only rules is that it falls within BJCP regulations, with Smoked Malt added). So, from what I remember of the Amber Ale examples, we need a slightly bitter, malty and somewhat sweet beer, with light to medium body. So I came up with the following recipe. The problem is I've never used Smoked Malt, so I don't know how much is enough. I don't want the smokiness to be a lead flavor, only at the background, but still present. Any suggestions?

No Vacancy Smoked Amber Ale
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain (BIAB)
Batch Size (fermenter): 19,00 l
Brewer: Tsekouratos
Boil Size: 31,33 l
Boil Time: 69 min
End of Boil Volume 21,67 l
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 17,00 l
Est Mash Efficiency 76,8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3,00 kg Pale Ale (Thracian Pale Ale) (6,0 EBC) Grain 1 61,2 %
0,50 kg Vienna Malt (10,0 EBC) Grain 2 10,2 %
0,30 kg Oats, Flaked (2,0 EBC) Grain 3 6,1 %
0,25 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3,9 EBC) Grain 6 5,1 %
0,25 kg Caramel 120 (Dark) (120,0 EBC) Grain 4 5,1 %
0,25 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59,1 EBC) Grain 5 5,1 %
0,20 kg Special B (Castle Malting) (300,0 EBC) Grain 7 4,1 %
0,15 kg Caramel 30 (Light) (30,0 EBC) Grain 8 3,1 %
5,00 g Polaris [19,00 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 9 15,0 IBUs
30,00 g Centennial [10,00 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 10 9,5 IBUs
30,00 g Amarillo [9,20 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 11 7,3 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50,28 ml] Yeast 12 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5,9
Bitterness: 31,7 IBUs
Calories: 427,1 kcal/l
Est Color: 28,3 EBC

The hops at the end are not definite. I might run out of Amarillo, so I might play with Belma, Ella, Simcoe or something else citrusy.
So I carbonated my Smoked amber lager yesturday. I wont likely keg it off until next week, but at the moment the smoke level is very very subtle. If you look for it it is there at the back, but it is very clean and yummy.

I would say that i should have gone for 15% to make it a little more present, but as it stands right now the beer is very nice and tasty.

Back