Smoked Amber Lager...its your fault!

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Yall got me into listening brewing podcasts. I just spent an hour listening to people talk about smoked beer. So now the only logical thing for me todo is make one...

New Recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1438874

I was going for a balanced Amber Lager with a light smoke to it.

I might need to reduce the total caramel malt and sub in either black prinz or midnight wheeeet to get the color where i want it.

I currently have 28#s of BestMalz Smoked malt that is about a year old at this point so it is probably not as potent as when it was really fresh, so i might be able to use more then in the current recipe.

This recipe is based on an old one that i did last year around this time, but since I have a bunch of Nova yeast that is ready to harvest I will do it as a lager.

Original recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1350920

Lemme know what yall think!

Yall got me into listening brewing podcasts. I just spent an hour listening to people talk about smoked beer. So now the only logical thing for me todo is make one...

New Recipe:

I might need to reduce the total caramel malt and sub in either black prinz or midnight wheeeet to get the color where i want it.

I currently have 28#s of BestMalz Smoked malt that is about a year old at this point so it is probably not as potent as when it was really fresh, so i might be able to use more then in the current recipe.

This recipe is based on an old one that i did last year around this time, but since I have a bunch of Nova yeast that is ready to harvest I will do it as a lager.

Original recipe:

Smoked beers arnt my thing I've only brewed one smoked piwo grodziski thing Nosybear put up years ago.

But I wouldn't go to heavy on the hops is my thoughts wouldn't that overshadow the smoked notes?

Definitely no dry hop id go

Is around 10% smoked the norm?

Smoked beers arnt my thing I've only brewed one smoked piwo grodziski thing Nosybear put up years ago.

But I wouldn't go to heavy on the hops is my thoughts wouldn't that overshadow the smoked notes?

Definitely no dry hop id go

Is around 10% smoked the norm?
I think you could in theory go 100% smoked malt. But it would be very smokey like a Bamberg beer(I'm not even gonna try to spell it).

New Recipe:

Original recipe:

If your batches are like 75 pounds, that's a lot of smokey. Might be like drinking bacon. Whirlpool hops can tame it a bit.

A member named @noseybear had a quarterly brew, Piwo Grodsziski, that used maybe 15% smoked wheat and the smoke was subtle. Search for the recipe.

New Recipe:

Original recipe:

I've made plenty of smoked beer so all i can say is be careful, that smoked malt can be harsh

I've made plenty of smoked beer so all i can say is be careful, that smoked malt can be harsh
For sure. I have a made a few, but it was many beers ago.

What do you think about this recipe? I'm looking for subtle smoked flavor. Just enough to know it is there without the licking the bbq flavor?

If your batches are like 75 pounds, that's a lot of smokey. Might be like drinking bacon. Whirlpool hops can tame it a bit.

A member named @noseybear had a quarterly brew, Piwo Grodsziski, that used maybe 15% smoked wheat and the smoke was subtle. Search for the recipe.
The recipes that I have seen have had like 85%smoked wheat.

Mine is sub 15%. I think that I have enough to get close to 15%??

For sure. I have a made a few, but it was many beers ago.

What do you think about this recipe? I'm looking for subtle smoked flavor. Just enough to know it is there without the licking the bbq flavor?
I would try any new recipe in a small batch first, many have floored me thinking wow I'm glad I didn't make a big batch, some were bad at first but good over 30 days of aging, all i can say is be carefull

I would try any new recipe in a small batch first, many have floored me thinking wow I'm glad I didn't make a big batch, some were bad at first but good over 30 days of aging, all i can say is be carefull
Totally get that.

I def have atleast a month of lagering time before I can put this on draft.

I don't really have a smaller batch system to play with at this point.

I brewed basically this in Jan of this year and I didn't take any negative notes on it? Lol I also didn't take any notes at all on it?

Totally get that.

I def have atleast a month of lagering time before I can put this on draft.

I don't really have a smaller batch system to play with at this point.

I brewed basically this in Jan of this year and I didn't take any negative notes on it? Lol I also didn't take any notes at all on it?
Should be fine then.
There are smoked beers out there that are really smoked, and people buy and drink them. I mean, when you order a smoked beer, you probably expect that smoke will be a prominent flavor. Personally, I like just a hint of smoke, so maybe I have a bias. I'll drive over to Tybee when you put it out and let you know.

from what I can remember one I didn't like was a dry kind of chalky tasting beer, the smoke took over the beer and it didn't have any other flavor

Should be fine then.
There are smoked beers out there that are really smoked, and people buy and drink them. I mean, when you order a smoked beer, you probably expect that smoke will be a prominent flavor. Personally, I like just a hint of smoke, so maybe I have a bias. I'll drive over to Tybee when you put it out and let you know.
Just lemme know when! Im here!

I like smoked beers, but if its really really smokey, i only want one.

Should be fine then.
Brewing this today! Oh the smells are so good! Its gonna go on after my Red lager or Vienna tap lines open up. So ill get it to lager for about a month! If you wanna come check it out let me know!

Brewing this today! Oh the smells are so good! Its gonna go on after my Red lager or Vienna tap lines open up. So ill get it to lager for about a month! If you wanna come check it out let me know!
So, like the end of January or early February?
Wonderful time for the beach. Really. Yup, I'll let you know weeks before.

New Recipe:

Original recipe:

Lemme know what yall think! Volleyball shoes, designed for quick lateral movements and superior traction, enhance court performance with specialized features for agility and stability. Their lightweight construction and supportive design make them essential gear for every volleyball player. read more
some friends of mine are organizing a series of style competitions, and the second one is Amber Ale (the only rules is that it falls within BJCP regulations, with Smoked Malt added). So, from what I remember of the Amber Ale examples, we need a slightly bitter, malty and somewhat sweet beer, with light to medium body. So I came up with the following recipe. The problem is I've never used Smoked Malt, so I don't know how much is enough. I don't want the smokiness to be a lead flavor, only at the background, but still present. Any suggestions?

No Vacancy Smoked Amber Ale
American Amber Ale
Type: All Grain (BIAB)
Batch Size (fermenter): 19,00 l
Brewer: Tsekouratos
Boil Size: 31,33 l
Boil Time: 69 min
End of Boil Volume 21,67 l
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 17,00 l
Est Mash Efficiency 76,8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3,00 kg Pale Ale (Thracian Pale Ale) (6,0 EBC) Grain 1 61,2 %
0,50 kg Vienna Malt (10,0 EBC) Grain 2 10,2 %
0,30 kg Oats, Flaked (2,0 EBC) Grain 3 6,1 %
0,25 kg Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3,9 EBC) Grain 6 5,1 %
0,25 kg Caramel 120 (Dark) (120,0 EBC) Grain 4 5,1 %
0,25 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59,1 EBC) Grain 5 5,1 %
0,20 kg Special B (Castle Malting) (300,0 EBC) Grain 7 4,1 %
0,15 kg Caramel 30 (Light) (30,0 EBC) Grain 8 3,1 %
5,00 g Polaris [19,00 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 9 15,0 IBUs
30,00 g Centennial [10,00 %] - Boil 10,0 min Hop 10 9,5 IBUs
30,00 g Amarillo [9,20 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 11 7,3 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50,28 ml] Yeast 12 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5,9
Bitterness: 31,7 IBUs
Calories: 427,1 kcal/l
Est Color: 28,3 EBC

The hops at the end are not definite. I might run out of Amarillo, so I might play with Belma, Ella, Simcoe or something else citrusy.

some friends of mine are organizing a series of style competitions, and the second one is Amber Ale (the only rules is that it falls within BJCP regulations, with Smoked Malt added). So, from what I remember of the Amber Ale examples, we need a slightly bitter, malty and somewhat sweet beer, with light to medium body. So I came up with the following recipe. The problem is I've never used Smoked Malt, so I don't know how much is enough. I don't want the smokiness to be a lead flavor, only at the background, but still present. Any suggestions?

American Amber Ale
I assume you meant 60 mins?

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
going to probably need more then this % wise. Mine was about 12% and while i was brewing it the smoked flavor was very light. I brewed it yesterday though so its probably too early to give definitive answer. It was recommended above to shoot for 15% smoked malt? I think thats reasonable.

Mine should be done next week so i can give you more feedback on smoked malt % in my recipe at the end of next week/beginning of the new year.
I would probably reduce your total Crystal malts. Mine was equivalent to 25 EBC and it was on the darker side of amber. Obviously it will be different while im brewing then the final product. I would think that higher then 25 would be closer to a brown or a light porter then an amber.

If you wanted to keep all 3(c30, c120, Spec B) i would drop them down. maybe c30 3%, c120 2%, spec B 3%?

I also added Roasted barley to complement the smoked malt. Which allowed me to use less crystal but have a good dark amber color(hopefully).

I added malted wheat for head retention and some flavor.
Hop wise, i went for 26 IBU of Cascade/Loral(super noble hop). Mine is a lager though so the big dank hops would probably be too much.

Beer Profile

The hops at the end are not definite. I might run out of Amarillo, so I might play with Belma, Ella, Simcoe or something else citrusy.
Im not sure what Polaris, Belma, or ella are. Simcoe, cent, and amarillo are all good.

When i was doing my hop schedule i was trying to balance my hops with a light smoke, so i didnt want them to too forward. I just brewed a red lager which has a very similar IBU and SRM. It is really good, it has a nice hop flavor to balance the malty red. That being said, 31 IBU would be fine if you prefer a hoppier amber.

Hope that helps!

American Amber Ale

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

Beer Profile

So first day back in the brewery after the mayhem of Christmas. My Lager is at 76% Attenuation with a fair amount of yeast still in suspension so take that as it is.

If I was to brew this beer again, i would up the smoked malt to probably around 15% or so. It is there, but it you sort of have to look for it.

I think that as it finishes, it should pick up more smoke flavor, same with dropping out the yeast, but it is nice a subtle. as it stands.

Ill update after it finishes fermentation/lagering/carb.

So first day back in the brewery after the mayhem of Christmas. My Lager is at 76% Attenuation with a fair amount of yeast still in suspension so take that as it is.

If I was to brew this beer again, i would up the smoked malt to probably around 15% or so. It is there, but it you sort of have to look for it.

I think that as it finishes, it should pick up more smoke flavor, same with dropping out the yeast, but it is nice a subtle. as it stands.

Ill update after it finishes fermentation/lagering/carb.
What percentage did you run with In the end there man.

I was surprised at the percentage I used it that Grodziski 90% .

I think starting low and dialing it in is the smart approach don't wanna Tail Pipe Lager lol

Back