Small batch fermentation

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm making 2 gal batches, fermenting in small plastic buckets. The issue is the bucket lid was never intended to be air tight so even though fermentation is happening, there's no way to monitor progress without removing the lid.

Any suggestions on how to add a seal to the bucket lid.?

You could just cover the pail with a sterilized sheet of clear plastic (e.g. plastic wrap) and tie it around with a large elastic band or cord. This will prevent dust getting in, allow CO2 to escape, and give you a view into the pail.

It's not essential to have an air tight sealed lid, lots of people ferment beer without an air tight seal and have no problems. As long as everything is sterilized you can rely on the CO2 layer to protect your beer.

No need to sterilize, leave that for the medical field! Sanitized is all you need for brewing.

RDWHAHB: Put the lid on loosely. When you need to check on something, lift it up and look in. Bacteria can't crawl so don't worry about them getting in around the lid. In fact, I'm thinking of trying out a few quasi-open fermentations using a few recipes I've found.

Use electrical tape to keep the lid air tight.

I did some nice beers in white plastic buckets with no air locks and a can of beans sitting on top to keep the lids from lifting off. No need for an air tight seal.

I brew small, 9 litre batches, not far off 2 gallons. I actually had mould growing on the inside of my bucket lid seal once. Thankfully, it stayed there. My beer was fine, no infection. I think some wort got in there during the splashing around prior to pitching. Seemingly quite hard to infect beer, if you are careful with sterilising things in the first place. I use an airlock, but probably don't need to.

Back