Sign of bad yeast?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by MackanErland, Jan 31, 2018.

1. MackanErland

MackanErland New Member

I have made several starter and they have all come out ok. Now I did a starter with Wyeast Ringwood Ale 1187 and everything went well. Plenty of activity but then it turned a bit grainy while on the magnetic stirrer.

I removed it after about 26 hours and most fell to the bottom straight away. Is this normal? The other ones I have made in the past have ben finer, so to speak.

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Yep. Normal. Some English yeasts are so highly flocculant they look like egg drop soup in the flask and drop out like a lead weight once you stop stirring. That's why they leave sweetness in the beer - they quit and drop out.

3. MackanErland

MackanErland New Member

Awesome, thanks. A bit worried there for a while. Appreciate the help.

4. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    My London ESB yeast does the same thing, it packs in like cement in the bottom of the jar when I save a starter. My Saison yeast never really settles at all so the difference is stark.

5. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Yeah, every time I use S-04, I have to worry about it starting to drop before it's even done fermenting.and when it does drop, it drops like a rock. Mostly doesn't even need cold-crashing.