Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe hack

I didn't intend for this beer to be so clear, with 23% flaked, 9% wheat malt, and some lactose to boot. It ended up cold crashing at 1.5C for a week and poured this clear almost from day one. No whirlfloc, and no gelatin. Counter flow chiller may account for some protein dropping out as well, but the long cold crash is the biggest factor.
View attachment 25916
I posted a pic of my Blueberry Saison on another thread. It took some time, but it actually did clear quite a bit considering I used about 14% wheat and 20% (3 lbs) frozen blueberries that I pureed. Time DOES help. Nice Pic

I felt this batch was a tad darker and a skosh more bitter than the real deal; I'm shooting for a clone of SN pale. I adjusted the C20 up 2 ounces and the C40 down 2 ounces, and it's in the fermenter now. I'll report back when it's done.

Here's the latest, and I'm calling this a personal best for Sierra Nevada pale. C20 is now at 10 oz. and C40 at 6 oz. for a cumulative 16 oz. C60 addition.
Flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and bitterness are all identical to my senses. I just added some gelatin yesterday, and it should get more clear in a few days.

20230729_140647.jpg

Here's the latest, and I'm calling this a personal best for Sierra Nevada pale. C20 is now at 10 oz. and C40 at 6 oz. for a cumulative 16 oz. C60 addition.
Flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and bitterness are all identical to my senses. I just added some gelatin yesterday, and it should get more clear in a few days.

View attachment 26145
If you're satisfied they are the same, please post a link to your recipe. Inquiring minds want to know

View attachment 26145
Looks identical too love your stuff man!

I love what SN gets with that super simple grain bill. I have tried my hand at a few SN recipes, and they all seem to follow the basic pale malt and C60. Too bad I can’t make the beer as good as they do.
For my part, I would use pale malt and C60 in any attempt to pay homage to that great beer.

Back