Show your DIY Projects

1500 lbs is 680 kg if I am not mistaken
That would be 680 litre water.
Roughly arou d 670 litre beer.

That should last a while :p

E56A1F34-B953-4E94-B05A-CE7FBCE70535.jpeg

Pulled out the sink base today. No surprises to find the gaping hole in the sheet rock, and if you look closer, the hot and cold water lines were stubbed through the floor reversed and crisscrossed in the wall to make them right. Just above the outlet I installed yesterday, we found a nail from the original sheet rock had penetrated the sink drain pipe. We managed to peel the old Formica splashing off below the windowsill without too much damage. Apparently the glue didn’t bond well or not enough pressure was applied to make it stick.

84D06B9D-DB2C-43C1-ABBC-F10A170567DD.jpeg

The new sink is going to be a farmhouse style sink and a few inches deeper, and since we found the hole from the nail, we relocated the drain pipe 6 inches lower as well as replumbes the supply lines with PEX and eliminated two saddle clamp type valves which were installed for a filter that hasn’t been used in ages. Patched up the wall and cleaned up another 50 year old screwup. Everything is leak checked and we put the original sink and base back temporarily to have water and drain in the kitchen. I’m apparently allowed to brew tomorrow. I still need to get a little more sheet rock work on that wall finished.

No pictures and nothing very exciting, but I changed the controller of my 12V solar fridge.
Can't see what's wrong with it. Maybe it went on a heat strike...
Anyway, I should have cold beer just now

If the boss is letting you brew, then you must be doing a good job!
Postponed by a day, but there’s plenty sanding that she doesn’t need me for and I showed her that I was on my last case of home brew. I’m at the point of waiting until primer is on the ceiling and walls ( which might happen tomorrow after dinner) then I’ll start assembling cabinets. We bought RTA cabinets from Domain Cabinets in Temecula, CA. Caught a pretty good sale and got all the cabinets we need under $5500 including shipping. The manufacturer short shipped one cabinet. From order to delivery, all but the one cabinet were in my garage and shed in ONE week. Once I verified the short ship, 4 days it was here. I can’t say enough good things about Domain. We decided to go with RTA(ready to assemble) cabinets so we could control the pace of the remodeling and not lose our kitchen for 4 months while a contractor was figuring out more ways to bill us for extras and blame vendors for delivery issues. The only part of this we’ll sub out is the countertop and splash. Got a really good price from an acquaintance for splash installation, but still making “our” minds up about the tops. I knew it would happen, but I’m very patient with her because she has a pretty good sense of style on most our projects. I’m the brawn and brains for getting whatever she decides looks good installed.

Postponed by a day, but there’s plenty sanding that she doesn’t need me for and I showed her that I was on my last case of home brew. I’m at the point of waiting until primer is on the ceiling and walls ( which might happen tomorrow after dinner) then I’ll start assembling cabinets. We bought RTA cabinets from Domain Cabinets in Temecula, CA. Caught a pretty good sale and got all the cabinets we need under $5500 including shipping. The manufacturer short shipped one cabinet. From order to delivery, all but the one cabinet were in my garage and shed in ONE week. Once I verified the short ship, 4 days it was here. I can’t say enough good things about Domain. We decided to go with RTA(ready to assemble) cabinets so we could control the pace of the remodeling and not lose our kitchen for 4 months while a contractor was figuring out more ways to bill us for extras and blame vendors for delivery issues. The only part of this we’ll sub out is the countertop and splash. Got a really good price from an acquaintance for splash installation, but still making “our” minds up about the tops. I knew it would happen, but I’m very patient with her because she has a pretty good sense of style on most our projects. I’m the brawn and brains for getting whatever she decides looks good installed.
Definitely a bit of a balancing act.

I always do a bit of a check on HB stock before undertaking projects:D.

The more in the pipeline the bigger the job :p

Definitely a bit of a balancing act.

I always do a bit of a check on HB stock before undertaking projects:D.

The more in the pipeline the bigger the job :p
Yeah, I started with 2 cases (1 batch) with full intention of making room for another brew day. So far, 3 attempts have been thwarted by other real life (including doctor and dentist interruptions). Tomorrow’s looking good though.

BDF47501-968C-4278-A464-849F423CC9E3.jpeg
958593F2-6244-4D4D-8EF7-90A683EC8209.jpeg

Sheetrock done and first coat of primer on. 50 year old sheet rock is hard to cover because it wasn’t bleached paper back then again primer yellows very badly on the first coat and every stain on the bare parts weeps right through the wet paint. Once all the ammonia from the latex paint dissipates, gonna smell a lot better in there. We’re gonna prime the floor too before we put the new cabinets and flooring in. Just that little extra step to get rid of 50 years of odors that have permiated the subfloor and walls. Hindsight is 20/20, and I kinda wish I’d just gone ahead and replaced all the drywall

Should be building cabinets soon. Gotta build a jig to put the wall cabinets on to make installation a lot easier. The only reason the old base cabinets are still in the kitchen is to store the stuff that was in them until I get the new ones built. New plumbing on the sink should easily adapt to the new sink. All the lights are hanging down to avoid getting paint on them.

Starting to look like you are getting somewhere.

Kilz would've helped, but it stinks to high heaven. I think it looks great, but adding the cabinets will make it even nicer...

I omened a custom cabinet shop for 15 years, the problem is you can buy cheaper than build today, I look forward to your next venture

Work came to a screeching halt today, though. Well, kinda. The missus and step-son put the finishing touches on the paint today while I was at the dentist. Had a pretty brutal extraction on a tooth that was crowned about 40 years ago, which my previous dentist pulled off to have a look, leaving me without enough viable tooth to support a new permanent crown. She put a temporary on last time I was there, and it finally popped off last week. I wish I'd insisted on oral surgery and getting knocked out. Didn't hurt too much (until the local wore off), but it was an all-out WWE event between the dentist and the tooth. His assistant tried to stretch my face off and I'm pretty sure she was holding my tongue with a pair of Channel Lock pliers. He finally got the stump out after breaking it into pieces and torturing me for nearly two hours this morning. Quite traumatic, really, but he got the job done and prep work for an implant to replace the tooth after this heals. I've had less trouble pulling stumps with my tractor. While he had it open, he went ahead and put in a bone graft (despite telling me how strong my mandible was) for a future implant. I asked if he was telling me I had the jawbone of a jackass.

Gotta take a couple days off to let the site heal so I don't start bleeding again. Might do some light stuff like assemble a couple of the cabinets, but don't want to wind up with dry socket or other problems. Taking it easy ain't in my nature, but just gonna have to give in on this one.

Kilz would've helped, but it stinks to high heaven. I think it looks great, but adding the cabinets will make it even nicer...
Most latex paints stink, lots of ammonia while curing. I don't mind the smell of Kilz, but the price for the Valspar primer was pretty good, and it did a good job for us in the dining room. That was on all new or painted drywall, though, except for the ceiling, which I'm almost positive we put three coats of primer on and three coats of ceiling paint to hide all the tiny little defects in the joint compound, as well as hide the yellowing tape joints. Looked damn good in there. Another coat today, and the missus seems to be happy with it.

Back