Show your DIY Projects

Maybe that clothes line in your early years is why you survived all those years around electrical lines! :D

Returning to the regularly scheduled programming:

Next project will be addition of an attic ladder in our hallway. Silly builders of this house put the ONLY attic access hole in a closet that requires completely emptying it and removing the shelves to get to. I'm thinking I may add an attic fan while I'm at it.

After that, I'll be adding a beam to allow me to eliminate part of a load bearing wall so that we can aggregate the kitchen and existing dining room and add cabinets.

I'll try to remember to post photos as I do them.

That's very similar to what I've been making. Probably easier to build if you can get the top and bottom rings in bulk. Mine are made from 5/8' rebar with a piece of leaf spring forged into an appropriate blade for the middle. It's hard to move but it's tough as hell and should last damned near forever.
View attachment 23792
View attachment 23793
My buddy welds a couple of decent sized nuts so you can fasten the splitter to a chopping block with a couple of lag bolts..
This makes it super easy to mover around, I just tip it then roll it out of the shed, and chop, chop, chop!
I would have to ask him, but I think the rings are cut from a piece of 10" steel pipe... I think
upload_2023-1-15_9-59-35.png

That makes sense, I wonder if I can get my hands on any easily.

That makes sense, I wonder if I can get my hands on any easily.
I have some connections, I'll see if I can lead you in the right direction.

That would be interesting, I'm sure I can locate pipe but cutting it with an angle grinder is not my idea of a good time.

That would be interesting, I'm sure I can locate pipe but cutting it with an angle grinder is not my idea of a good time.
Got a friend with a big lathe? Or a plasma cutter?

In the pipe valve and fitting industry it is common to cut pipe to length

If it is cast iron you can cut it with a chain with 'teeth'. Not quite a chain saw chain, more like a bunch of glass-cutter wheels. It scores the pipe and it breaks at the score. Like glass. Ask any old-school plumber (new ones use plastic only...)

Yeah it won't be cast iron or it'll break really easily, but I do know someone with a plasma cutter. Though getting sections cut to those lengths will probably take longer than just welding the rebar into shape. If my forge was shaped differently I could build rings in it but they would never fit sadly.

Yeah it won't be cast iron or it'll break really easily, but I do know someone with a plasma cutter. Though getting sections cut to those lengths will probably take longer than just welding the rebar into shape. If my forge was shaped differently I could build rings in it but they would never fit sadly.
I was thinking that, cast is too brittle.

If you were to find a 1 meter piece of 12" steel pipe I bet it might be free, or scrap cost. Got a metal recycler near by? $10 and it could be yours...

It's a nice idea and if I did that it might actually drive me to get a plasma cutter. I keep wanting one.

Working on converting the mash tun to direct heat so I can ditch the herms/hlt. Hopefully I’ll simplify my brew day a bit and have less equipment

Attachments

• 2FDFDA14-E3BD-4AC8-A90E-5927701675F1.jpeg
    2FDFDA14-E3BD-4AC8-A90E-5927701675F1.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 4FD15EB7-4EAF-4653-80AA-F78A65427A5E.jpeg
    4FD15EB7-4EAF-4653-80AA-F78A65427A5E.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 47
Working on converting the mash tun to direct heat so I can ditch the herms/hlt. Hopefully I’ll simplify my brew day a bit and have less equipment
More stuff to clean looks cool, but sure is a PITA on brew day when the fun's over and the real work starts (cleanup). I try to keep as much of it done as possible while brewing, but making sure that my mash and boil have most of my attention. I mash in my kettle, but then drain the wort to old brew buckets before boil after removing the torpedo screen. That's a nice lookin' kettle.

Moving to the S40 has really simplified my cleanup process, I don't know if it's saved any time since I cleaned during the boil but it's definitely less overall work.

Made a bottle label scraper. Might take the torch and harden the sharp part. We'll see how well it holds up without it
Cool! Does it take them off in one scrape? I use a knife after a little soak then I "whittle" off the labels while holding the neck.

Cool! Does it take them off in one scrape? I use a knife after a little soak then I "whittle" off the labels while holding the neck.
cleaned off front and back of a bottle in about 15 seconds. no soak at all. I use a little jig I made to hold the bottles.

Back