Show your DIY Projects

Nice! I'm waiting for the burners I ordered to get here before I finish my project.

Hey hackers...I need some ideas on how to get this jack into my Inkbird box. Ideally the neck of the jack had a threaded collar so I could have a flush fitting on the surface of the box but this is what I have to work with.

20210101_123250.jpg

So it looks like I'm gonna have a dongle hanging out of the housing unless you folks have a better idea. So take a look at the square stress relief ....I'm thinking about how best to put the square peg in a round hole? Drill something undersized and file it out square?

Other ideas?

For a square hole, yes, drill it and use a file. They make a 'nibbler tool' that cuts something like 3/32" square nibbles, starting from a small hole, but if you don't have one, the file is it.

That being said, the square grommet must be inserted from the side, so the square hole must start at an edge. It can't be in the middle, can it? Unless that grommet is split? If so then a square hole at an edge is a bit easier, 2 of the sides can be done with tin snips (better are aviation shears).

Try it in a piece of cardboard first, so you can see how to get that grommet into a hole. X-Acto will do fir that.

Ah, I failed to notice that the inkbird case is plastic.

A soldering iron can help with those corners...

PXL_20201231_202136151~2.jpg

I used my Christmas money to get the pump, ball valve and snaplock connectors. I built the rig based on a DIY section in a recent issue of Zymurgy magazine. The pump is easy to carry around, doesn't sit on the ground, and the switch box is waterproof.

Last edited:
Oh I like that, I should so something like that with my pump rather than carry it around everywhere by hand.

Yeah now I need to find some metal to stuff in it and play with it.

Edit: Also have my motorbike torn apart to work on the valve clearances.

What do you plan on using it for? I have something slightly larger and vertical I've used for aluminum sandcasting.

Ultimately I want to play around with knife making cause it looks cool, but for now I just want to hit things with a hammer. I need a hobby that doesn't involve ending up with gallons of beer to drink.

Better you than me man bike wouldn't go again if I did that to it!
Looks to me like mechanical open heart surgery lol!

That's just the start of the fun, I still have to pull the cam tensioner and replace the valve shims today or tomorrow. I put it off for quite a while cause it intimidated me but with not drinking for January I'm bored and figured I might as well learn sometime.

Back