Show me your gardening Progress

Step 2
Nothing exciting, dumped the water, let the seed drain, and added fresh water.
Will explain that tomorrow with step 3
Almost like a batch sparge!
Except the first runnings went down the drain

Step 3
Dumped the water again today, now leaving the grass seed in the bucket with no water.
It is nice and wet and should start to germinate in the next couple of days.
Apparently grass seed creates a toxin as it works toward germination, kid of a protection to discourage other plants from germinating near them.
Not sure about the science on this, just what more than one Lawntuber mentioned in their videos.
This is the reason for changing the water, those toxins are intended to be "given off", and are detrimental to the seed if it sits in those toxins too long.

The next steps are to add and drain water every 6-8 hours for the next couple of days.
Once germination is evident it will be time to sow.
Heading to the trailer later today, expect to be sowing seeds either sometime Friday, or Saturday.

This is an experiment based on watching a dozen or more videos.

Only being there on the weekends until mid June, I want to get some grass established as quickly as possible.
This is our May holiday weekend coming up, hoping to see a pretty significant amount of green by Monday!

1715871635340.png

Ben would be a b out to put it in the dryer.

Seeing a bit of germination today, seed is supposed to be 99% weed free, probably the 1% of weeds that are germinating!

Ain't that gonna make it just a wee bit difficult to broadcast?
once there is germination you spread it out to dry somewhat, and mix it with some slow release fertilizer.
This is a small area, will be doing it by hand

Finally on day 4 I am seeing some sprouts, will be sowing today

Ah man
I got sprouts going as well.
But they are for eating ;)
Thinking of lumpia tomorrow

Sown
will be starting the process again tomorrow with more seed to Sow next weekend.
The main reason for the pre germination process is that I am not here during the week to water the seed 8 times a day. Of course yhe picture won't upload...

Bring a couple more loads of soil and starting another batch of seed to Sow next weekend.
We are very near Lake Erie, it is very, very sandy. Our park is at Normandale

20240519_144054.jpg

Screenshot_20240520_175424_Maps.jpg

3 yards of topsoil spread, seeded and strawed.
This is around the addition and some low spots.
New mini tiller landed on my porch today, so the garden will go in this weekend.

I should have kept the seed damp in the bucket for a couple more days, but it is growing quite well for 7 days after sowing. I spread some more soil,and have .ore seed soaking, will sow it tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully it takes off much quicker beeing kept wet longer.
20240526_124956.jpg
20240526_124951.jpg

Send some our way!
We're having a drought and the country depends on hydroelectric dams for its power.
Result: power outages. Started with 4 hours daily, then 8, now 12.
They are called "load shedding".
Not affecting me much as I am on solar

Send some our way!
We're having a drought and the country depends on hydroelectric dams for its power.
Result: power outages. Started with 4 hours daily, then 8, now 12.
They are called "load shedding".
Not affecting me much as I am on solar
Load shedding was something I did in many paper mills all over the Southeastern US. That was actually quite fun work, but OH THE WHINING about who was at the bottom of the priority list.

Our only gardening this year is a few potted plants on the deck and a couple volunteer tomato plants (cherry tomatoes). We elected to not bother with a garden this year because we'll be going to New Zealand and Australia for the last week of June and all of July, and didn't want to leave something for someone else to have to take care of. Gonna have to turn the compost heaps or we'll have tomatoes and potatoes growing everywhere when we get back. I think there's even an avocado seed that's sprouting back there. Hoping to get some chicks for Cluckingham palace when we get back and should have plenty summer left to get them through brooding before winter, and hopefully laying around January. If we can't get 'em that late, then we'll have to wait until next year to start adding the chicken poop to the compost heaps.

Load shedding was something I did in many paper mills all over the Southeastern US. That was actually quite fun work, but OH THE WHINING about who was at the bottom of the priority list.

Our only gardening this year is a few potted plants on the deck and a couple volunteer tomato plants (cherry tomatoes). We elected to not bother with a garden this year because we'll be going to New Zealand and Australia for the last week of June and all of July, and didn't want to leave something for someone else to have to take care of. Gonna have to turn the compost heaps or we'll have tomatoes and potatoes growing everywhere when we get back. I think there's even an avocado seed that's sprouting back there. Hoping to get some chicks for Cluckingham palace when we get back and should have plenty summer left to get them through brooding before winter, and hopefully laying around January. If we can't get 'em that late, then we'll have to wait until next year to start adding the chicken poop to the compost heaps.
Five weeks? Who approved that? :rolleyes:

That sounds awesome, safe travels and have a good time. You're not going to be in Queensland, are you?

I bet the boss is excited to visit home again.

Five weeks? Who approved that? :rolleyes:

That sounds awesome, safe travels and have a good time. You're not going to be in Queensland, are you?

I bet the boss is excited to visit home again.
Yup, absolutely will be in Queensland the last week we're there, and not very far at all from Ben's place (like 20 minutes away). The SIL lives in Buderim, between Ben and the Sunshine Coast. Hoping to work out getting over to see him and try out his GF beer. Gonna do 10 days in Kiwi land on the North Island, then go on over to Port Pirie, South Australia by way of Sydney (connection only) to wrap up some estate things for the missus' late parents and to see her brother. Port Pirie is about 3 hours north of Adelaide up at the top of Spencer Gulf. Jaws' living room. Lookin at about 2-1/2 weeks(ish) there. Then up to QLD for a bit of R&R with the sister-in-law. Got a bit planned up there, but trying to make sure we leave some time in the schedule to meet up with Ben. Then we fly back through Auckland (just connection) all the way to Houston, and finally to B'ham. Long ride in a tin can. Will likely be our last trip to Oz because there's other parts of the world we both want to see before we get too old to travel.

Back