Show me your gardening Progress

The home garden. Very dry in Atlanta so regretfully using city water to keep them growing.
View attachment 21233
You are doing a great job. It looks green enough. Are you satisfied with the soil after you put the fabric on it? I'm not sure is the fabric is good enough, because according to some reviews here, I'm not the only one who is unsatisfied with the quality, or it's just a humid weather lately. But the soil remains very moist all the time. Is it okay?

Last edited:
You are doing a great job. It looks green enough. Are you satisfied with the soil after you put the fabric on it? I'm not sure is the fabric is good enough, because according to some reviews here, I'm not the only one who is unsatisfied with the quality, or it's just a humid weather lately. But the soil remains very moist all the time. Is it okay?
I have not yet fund any ill effects after 5 years doing it this way. The soil does dry out sometimes, even with the fabric, but not nearly as quickly as uncovered soil.

Three Bay compost system using left overs and old pailings
20221015_071448.jpg

Frame hardwood post offcuts
20221016_135859.jpg
the front pailings are removable for dumping out compost.
20221016_135905.jpg

900wide 1000long 700 high millimetres sorry metric.
20221016_135919.jpg

Geotextile cloth is going into the bottom now I gotta shovel my crap back in there.

Nice!
Mine would probably be eaten by termites though. Trying to get something going with old roofing sheets. Also a 3-bay system.

Other than that, all I got at the moment are chili's.
Onions are ready for harvest this week. Everything else seems to struggle a bit. Hot, dry, dusty, lots of wind.

Actually, I can harvest some cumin and anise seeds. Pawpaws, lemongrass and galangal are doing OK. Custard apple is having tiny tiny fruits

Nice!
Mine would probably be eaten by termites though. Trying to get something going with old roofing sheets. Also a 3-bay system.

Other than that, all I got at the moment are chili's.
Onions are ready for harvest this week. Everything else seems to struggle a bit. Hot, dry, dusty, lots of wind.

Actually, I can harvest some cumin and anise seeds. Pawpaws, lemongrass and galangal are doing OK. Custard apple is having tiny tiny fruits
Here's hoping mine don't either probably not as high possibility as where you are but my neighbours house has been smashed and they've had a little nibble on mine but I can handle that;).

900wide 1000long 700 high millimetres sorry metric.
No worries mate, we speak metric here.

Only the eggplants and jalapeños are still producing here, a couple of tiny green tomatoes and some sad basil leaves and thats it. The rest is long gone.

Overall it was a good season. Killed those fire ants, got plenty of produce (except for tomatoes - some critters got to them as soon as they turned a little pink) and no major injuries.

Nice!
I struggle with ginger.
Galangal is no problem though.
One day I'll get it right
Havnt tried Galangal one day I might get some off a client that's how I acquire most my garden plants lol.

Yeah Ginger loves our climate here in SE QLD specially Sunshine Coast and narrow that in a tad more the buderim Yandina palmwoods area as well as citrus pineapple lychees banana's and just about any other tropical plant I've not mentioned.
Yes a tropical Gardner's paradise actually I was out a client's house this arvo sorting her termites out and I spied these nuts on her kitchen bench.
What are these walnuts I ask? Nope she replies pistachios. wow you can grow those here yup we got a tree down the back.

I got lemons, lime, banana, pawpaw, jack fruit, masau, mango, tamarilla & custard apple at the moment. They are still a bit young, so no fruits yet (except for banana, masau & pawpaw).
Next time in town I want to get avocado, lychee, passion fruit and orange trees, depending on my budget :)

Here in Central Oregon, our weather is finally forecasted to look like Autumn, which is a good time to get some plants in the ground. The first rains of fall are supposed to begin this weekend, a welcome relief from heat and wildfire smoke.

We have 3 raised beds and a pair of espaliered apples, along with a couple sad looking blueberry bushes. Unfortunately, our “soil” is hard pan clay that resists a shovel, but gives way to a pick axe. Last week we worked to get some plants in the ground - 3 more blueberry bushes, and a red currant. Two of our three raised beds were planted with red clover as a cover crop, which will be turned under in late winter. The third raised bed we planted with some late season carrots, some fennel and spinach, a basil plant and several bulbs of garlic. All around our back yard, we’re fighting to control horsetail ferns.

Here is a look at part of our garden. Where I stood to take the photo is a slope on which the 5 blueberry bushes are planted. The apple trees are at the near edge of the deck.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Here in Central Oregon, our weather is finally forecasted to look like Autumn, which is a good time to get some plants in the ground. The first rains of fall are supposed to begin this weekend, a welcome relief from heat and wildfire smoke.

We have 3 raised beds and a pair of espaliered apples, along with a couple sad looking blueberry bushes. Unfortunately, our “soil” is hard pan clay that resists a shovel, but gives way to a pick axe. Last week we worked to get some plants in the ground - 3 more blueberry bushes, and a red currant. Two of our three raised beds were planted with red clover as a cover crop, which will be turned under in late winter. The third raised bed we planted with some late season carrots, some fennel and spinach, a basil plant and several bulbs of garlic. All around our back yard, we’re fighting to control horsetail ferns.

Here is a look at part of our garden. Where I stood to take the photo is a slope on which the 5 blueberry bushes are planted. The apple trees are at the near edge of the deck.
View attachment 22728
does that water timer work good, my daughter is looking for one

does that water timer work good, my daughter is looking for one
We’re not fans, and have turned off the automatic delivery of irrigation water. The previous owner had set up the system to water every day for half an hour, which saturated everything and allowed the horsetail ferns to proliferate. More than a dry month later, portions of the yard are still excessively wet. We actually pulled out hundreds of feet of drip lines and found the horsetails followed those lines. Going forward, we’ll water by hand as necessary.

However, it is effective at delivering water where it is directed. Our goal is to be more involved in our garden, so we’ll be experimenting going forward. Having never lived in a place where real winter occurs, we are learning that the back flow device needs to be winterized.

@Herm brews That clay can be shoveled if it gets moistened. Georgia's piedmont (where I am) is famous for its clay, and when it gets drier you need a pickaxe. Water it for 2 or 3 days and then you can shovel it.

Anything outdoor with water needs to be drained or it will be damaged, as you've learned. Like house spigots...

@Herm brews That clay can be shoveled if it gets moistened. Georgia's piedmont (where I am) is famous for its clay, and when it gets drier you need a pickaxe. Water it for 2 or 3 days and then you can shovel it.

Anything outdoor with water needs to be drained or it will be damaged, as you've learned. Like house spigots...
It is weird dirt, clay with volcanic cobbles and boulders. Then about a foot or so below grade, it is pure clay, which is damp and relatively easy to dig. All the existing plants here have spread their roots on the surface, with hardly any ground penetration. Very different from our Anaheim yard, which had friable sandstone. I could easily dig holes there - here, not so much.

PXL_20221024_165430427.jpg

I pulled the last tomato plant yesterday. This is the root structure!
We had 3 inches of snow last week , but then a nice weekend and yesterday was absolutely beautiful at 73° and sunny.
I put in some garlic and started to break up some of the top mulch dressings on the top, but I don't usually bother, so that lasted for about 5 minutes. Winter will give it a nice blanket.

No frost yet, so 'maters are still chugging. A little, anyways.

Back