Session IPA Final gravity

Kane Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
OK I know this is going to sound really dumb but, have to ask because we are rookies...

We brewed a 5 gallon batch extract session IPA the expected OG was 1.047 according to the recipe... it was actually 1.044 don’t ask me why or what we did wrong because we were pretty strict following it, but it doesn’t matter that much I know. Final is what matters right? So we got a final gravity reading of 1.010 when it was supposed to be 1.013. Here comes the dumb question ... that would actually be spot on based on the OG correct? Or is it actually too low and it’s not done yet? Math is hard. Lol.

Ditto that. There are so many reasons to miss by 0.003 points, or about five ounces of sugar over a 5-gallon batch, it's almost not worth troubleshooting. Your hydrometer could be off by that much, or the temperature you measured the gravity was too high. Since I don't know whether you were doing all-grain or extract, hard to even start! But as Jeffpn said, call it a success.

Final gravity is going to be a function of original gravity and attenuation (how much of the sugar the yeast was able to metabolize). You could start with an OG of 1.070 and still get to a 1.010 FG if the yeast is active enough. Extracts are usually pretty predictable, but there are still a number of factors that can make a difference of .003. Things like yeast strain and temperature are important to know, but since you went lower FG than expected and you've already gotten 78% attenuation, you're probably done. You won't know that for sure, though, until you check it a few days apart and see the same reading.

That's just fine, don't worry about it at all.

ah what is three points anyway.... im happy if i nail my targets but if not its not the end of the world mistakes can be a success its how you look at it... you know beer glass half full half empty i just see a glass thats needing to be filled:p.

Back