Secondary Fermentation

GGB

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a wet hopped Harvest Ale, and after 8 days in Primary gravity dropped from an OG of 1.058 to 1.009 both at 70° How long should I leave it in secondary before bottling. I did add a dry hop addition to secondary. Thanks for any suggestions.

I guess I wouldn’t transfer it to a secondary unless you were going to age for a long time (3 weeks or more). I think it would be ready to bottle in a couple of days.

If you have a way to cold crash the primary, I would crash it for a day or two to help drop out any hop residue, then bottle it.

I find that 4 to 5 days of dry hop time seems to be a sweet spot. Most of the dry hop extraction occurs in the first 24-48 hours. Why the secondary for dry hopping? I just add the hops loose to the primary a day or two after the krausen has fallen. Every day I give the dry hopped fermentor a gentle swirl and by day 4 or 5 all of the hop matter has settled to the bottom. No filter or secondary needed. Of course, I'm usually adding pellet hops for dry hopping. Did you use wet hops in secondary or pellets? When I have wet-dry hopped with fresh hops in the past I found that the whole cones didn't want to settle out. I just racked from under the floating raft. If I ever use wet-dry hops again I'll definitely use a hop sock.

Back